Pets are no more just a four legged creature today, they have become members of family.Pet owners want to buy premium foods that contain essential ingredients and nutrients for their pets. In line with customer demand, manufacturers of pet food are coming up with advanced and healthy products. These pet food have specific texture, taste, nutritional value, and shapes. These special products are manufactured with the help of specific food processing methods. The addition of premium pet food in the existing pet food portfolio is a result of advancement in the pet food processing equipment and devices. Increasing instances of pet adoption in both developing and developed economies and the increased awareness in owners about food quality have led to increased demand in the global pet food processing market which was valued at $3.81 billion in 2018. The market, in the forecast period from 2019 to 2025, is expected to witness growth at a CAGR of 4.1%. The development of premium flavors and tastes such as cranberry, veal pate, pumpkin puree with quinoa, turkey and meat, and béchamel sauce are some of the major aspects supporting the pet food processing market. The pet food processing market caters to a large number of pets including but not limited to dogs, cats, horses, reptiles and birds. With such a huge consumer base, the demand for pet foods are certain to increase which is expected to induce revenues in the global pet food processing market.
North America was observed to be the most lucrative region in the pet food processing market in 2018. Factors such as increasing disposable income and a large number of nuclear families in the region are the major reasons behind this regional dominance, which accounted for 42% of the global market share in the pet food processing market. This heavy share is resonated due to the increased awareness of better pet food products in the market. According to the American Pet Products Association, 68% of households in the U.S. own a pet. This suggests that around 85 million families are buying pet food. This makes the U.S. one of the major contributors to the North America pet food market. However, demand is increasing from developing nations such as China, India, and Argentina due to the increased pet ownership.
Application in the pet food processing are numerous and involve several equipment. By equipment, the drying and baking are concluded as the prominent segment in the global pet food processing market. The prevailing concept of treats to petsis driving the global pet food processing market. These treats are manufactured using baking and drying machines. With advanced baking and drying equipment are producing multi-shaped and textured products which are highly popular with pet owners. The growing demand for flavorful and healthy pet food is expected to increase the market size in the global pet food processing market.
Trending Food in the Pet Food Market
- Addition of Taurine: A few of the pet food companies are combining Taurine in various cat and dog stews and other foods. The researchers developing this recipe claims that it improves the cardiac health of pets. Additionally, the producers have reduced the usage of preservatives, soy, genetically modified organism (GMO), and corn.Cats are known to have food aversions or sensitivities, this induced the people at the cat food factoriesto develop safe and healthy cat food. Thus, addition of new recipes in the pet food market such as wild cod, chicken, wild salmon, and wild haddock are taking over the market.
- Whole Prey Nutrition: Whole prey nutrition refers to animal meat, cartilage, and organs. New pet food processing companies are following this formula to compete in the market. Some of the companies are also processing pumpkin within pet foods to improve their digestive systems. Whole prey nutrition is gaining popularity in a majority of countries due to the overall nutritional value they provide to domestic animals. A few firms are also producing organic dog food for integrating nutritional and health benefits of pets.
- Cannabinoid-Based Food: The National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) in the United Stateshas approved the use of cannabinoids as a major ingredient for pet food. These hemp-based pet supplements are a result of research on cannabinoid conducted by professional veterinarians. These treats will target mobility and anxiety issues in pets. This processed CBD-equipped food needs specific processing units that are capable of extracting all the necessary cannabinoid from the plant and mixing them accurately with other meat and protein ingredients. A major producer of this product is the company True Leaf, which is a prominent hemp products manufacturer and distributor with over 3,500 stores in the U.S. alone. Currently, the company is in plans to establish a new production facility in Canada. This 18,000-sq.-ft. campus will produce, process, manufacture and distribute cannabinoid pet food in various regions across the continent and even overseas.
- Cell-Cultured Food: The pet food industry is witnessing advancements at a significant pace and one of its consequence is the development of cell-cultured proteins for pets, largely referred to as acellular agriculture. It involves microbes and micro-organisms which are accordingly infused with DNA sequences through a 3D printer. Furthermore, they manufacture proteins that can be mixed with various pet food items. This technique is gaining popularity owing to its sustainability factor.
Pet Food Processing Equipment and Packaging: A Positive Impact
- Packaging: Packaging is an important part of food processing and requires for certain aspects to be fulfilled. Gradually, challenges to pet food processing are becoming similar to human food processing challenges such as the need for longer shelf lives of food products. Packaging companies are developing advanced spill-proof and long-lasting products which are driving the pet food processing market. Companies are also conducting R&D to develop recyclable and sustainable packaging material for pet food.
- Equipment Automation:Following industrial automation in the form of automatic food manufacturing robots, pet food processing industry are also leveraging on innovations such as the Internet and cloud computing technology. Advanced robots are being employed to process pet food, and these robots are capable of handling raw materials and flavor mixes efficiently. With the integration of technology in pet food processing, yields have increased, wastage has reduced, and human intervention has reduced; all of which have effectively standardized the quality of food. Thus, this digital mediation is driving the global food processing market.
- Automatic Feeder: The companies producing pet foods have manufactured an innovative automatic feeder for domestic pets such as cats and dogs. This machine feeds pets in the absence of the owner. It allows pet owners to set the time and quantity of treat required for the pet. This product is gaining popularity at an unprecedented pace due to its extraordinary features.
Pet Food Processing Market Competitive Landscape and Top Company Analysis
The companies influencing the pet food processing market are ANDRITZ AG, Clextral SAS, The Buhler Holding AG, Baker Perkins Ltd., and Middleby Corporation.
Talk to one of our sales representative about the full report by providing your details in the link below:
IndustryARC primarily focuses on Cutting Edge Technologies and Newer Applications market research. Our Custom Research Services are designed to provide insights on the constant flux in the global supply-demand gap of markets. Our strong team of analysts enables us to meet the client research needs at a rapid speed, with a variety of options for your business. Any other custom requirements can be discussed with our team, drop an e-mail to email@example.com to discuss more about our consulting services.