The River Clyde Pageant
Something remarkable happened in New Glasgow, PEI last summer. The River Clyde Pageant was a magical, outdoor, community performance; and with your help, it’s going to happen again this summer!
The River Clyde Pageant is a community-created, traveling performance that tells a fantastical story about the history of a tidal river and the environmental issues affecting the sustainability of all Prince Edward Island waterways.
The first River Clyde Pageant, in 2016, received a remarkable level of community participation and overwhelmingly positive response. On two July evenings, almost three hundred people traveled along the banks of the River Clyde in New Glasgow, Prince Edward Island. As the Pageant unfolded, the audience was joined by great blue herons, a giant trout puppet, a school of luminous jellyfish, bridge-dwelling trolls, gossipy mermaids, an Acadian fisherman rowing a dory, and a Mi’kmaq drum group. They told the story of the river at the heart of the community and the lives and livelihoods entwined with it. When the performance was over, the audience, performers and volunteers shared a meal on the lawn of The Mill Restaurant, as the sun set over the river.
The Pageant began as a big idea, and evolved into an extraordinary success through the work of many hearts and hands. Now, as we create the second River Clyde Pageant, we need your help to make it happen again!
Our Plans for the 2017 River Clyde Pageant
The 2017 River Clyde Pageant, called Wake the River Clyde, will incorporate many of the successful features of the first Pageant, as well as the following new elements:
- New Orleans musicians Kathy Randels & Maurice Turner will offer a music workshop exploring the Jazz Funeral tradition and its intersections with PEI’s musical traditions.
- Professional playwright Michael Geither will offer a creative writing workshop to produce new scenes for the Pageant.
- A puppet building workshop to create puppets out of found & recycled materials.
- Five admission-by-donation performances over two weekends, each concluding with a community supper on the lawn of The Mill.
We have already raised money through small grants and local supporters pledging financial contributions and heartfelt commitments of labour, and creative and material support…
HOWEVER, we need to raise $10,000 to cover costs for our local collaborators, to bring in guest artists, and to increase the number of performances to allow more people to see the Pageant and enjoy the free community meal afterwards.
Why support The River Clyde Pageant?
It makes magic happen, the kind of magic that comes not from technology, but from the imaginations and generosity of a diverse community gathered on a river bank in the twilight of a summer evening.
- It provides participants unique opportunities to learn and work creatively with professional artists.
- It connects audiences and participants in a celebration of the land, while also addressing local environmental issues that affect us all.
- It offers audiences a joyful experience of community – from travelling along a riverbank during the last hours of daylight to witness fantastical creatures & creations, to sharing a delicious meal as the sun sets.
- Anyone can participate and anyone can attend: we welcome participants of all ages, abilities and experiences, and admission for the performances is by donation.
Will you help bring this magical community performance to life in 2017?
In return for your generous donation, we are offering some great perks, such as Pageant tickets, posters & t-shirts, and gift certificates from awesome local businesses such as Receiver Coffee, Upstreet Craft Brewing, YouMeal, The Mill Restaurant & The PEI Preserve Company.
Can’t make a financial contribution to the campaign? There are other ways you can help! Share the campaign on social media, tell your friends about it, and help us spread the word widely!
From the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU for helping us Wake the River Clyde!
And thanks to our partners on this campaign, helping us to provide our donors with amazing local perks!