We’re Kick-Starting Chameleon Youth
Help us raise £3,000 and support the next generation of dance artists. Funds will Kick-Start Chameleon Youth, and present their premiere outdoor dance performance in Manchester City Centre.
We’re raising funds to support Chameleon Youth, our new youth dance company for Manchester, in its first ever year. Fundraising will go towards kitting-out the young people, hiring rehearsal space at Manchester Central Library and bringing in guest artists to create Chameleon Youth’s first outdoor production, a brand new dance piece, which will premiere in an open space in Manchester City Centre in Autumn 2016 / Spring 2017 (location to be announced: watch this space). Chameleon Youth, presents an incredible opportunity for young people, age 11 to 18, to learn from the workings of a professional dance company and develop as a young dance artist. By helping us kick-start the youth company, you’ll support the development of the next generation of dance artists in Manchester and help bring together the local community to enjoy outdoor arts, through Chameleon Youth’s premiere outdoor performance in the City Centre.
What we’ll deliver:
- Coach and prepare Chameleon Youth for their premiere outdoor performance in Manchester
- Kit-out Chameleon Youth with t-shirts and bags for rehearsals and performances
- Hire rehearsal space at Manchester Central Library for the creation of Chameleon Youth’s first outdoor production
- Provide high quality weekly dance development and training
- Open up exciting workshop opportunities with guest choreographers, artists and performers
Why it’s a great idea:
Kick-Starting Chameleon Youth is a great idea because: 1) We will create an exciting performance opportunity for young people in Manchester to present their work in an outdoor space in the City Centre. 2) Thanks to the accessibility of outdoor arts, we will create a performance which anyone in the local community can enjoy, and which firmly places youth dance on the map. 3) Through creating a new dance piece for Manchester, the young people in Chameleon Youth will begin to reap the rewards of dance as a creative force, and will be healthier and happier people for it. 4) Manchester is the city where our co-founders, Anthony Missen and Kevin Edward Turner, were first introduced to dance in their teens; Chameleon Youth sees their dance stories go full circle, to now support the next generation of dance artists. 5) With your support Chameleon Youth can play a leading role in creating exciting young dance artists for the future of theatre and the performing arts.
Steps to get it done:
- Kit-out Chameleon Youth (t-shirts and bags) – Sept 2016
- Commence weekly dance development and training – 5 Sept 2016
- Create Chameleon Youth’s first outdoor production in rehearsals at Manchester Central Library – Oct 2016
- Organise workshop opportunity with Guest Artist – Autumn 2016
- Premiere Chameleon Youth’s first outdoor production in Manchester City Centre – Autumn 2016 / Spring 2017
Chameleon Youth is an opportunity for young people to develop their dance skills; understand the workings of a professional dance company; learn about producing professional dance theatre for stage and take part in a wide-range of performance opportunities. Dance is an art-form which offers young people the chance to keep fit through a regular programme of activity, and has been proven to have positive impacts on the mental health of both participants and audiences. Dance has the power to bring people together; Chameleon Youth’s premiere outdoor performance will be a chance for the local community to celebrate young dance talent in #OurManchester.