The Travelling Retail/Performance Circus
The creation of a travelling ‘shop+performance’ space- for Walworth road, The Elephant, and East Street areas; Incubating place-making; a destination/an event – a temporary public realm proposal.
The overall aim is to pro-actively incubate local micro business ideas in Walworth road, The Elephant, and East Street areas, inspiring people with entrepreneurial aspirations. Incubating place-making; a destination / an event.
We do this by making a travelling ‘shop’ / ‘unit’ / ‘stall’ + ‘performance space’
Local entrepreneurs / micro businesses apply to ‘occupy’ the travelling unit. The unit has a changing roster, like a residency period. Minimal rent is charged. The travelling unit will aim to ‘promote’ and ‘brighten up’ its temporarily anchored area.
– we propose to base the travelling unit in the Carnaval del Pueblo Peabody site – to link with Carnaval Del Pueblo, Plaza Latina festival, and East Street market.
– This could be a vehicle for raising awareness for Plaza Latina and Carnaval Del Pueblo upcoming events to local residents and traders.
– the scheme could be a pilot to be used in other commercial settings, eg. South Bank, other markets in Southwark.
What we’ll deliver:
- provide a platform/leg-up for micro businesses that wouldn’t necessarily have the opportunity to trade
- provide a mobile performance space for many of the talented Southwark artists/performers
- temporarily improve public spaces in the Southwark area
Why it’s a great idea:
The project will provide job opportunities, will improve the public realm, and be fun!
Steps to get it done:
- we will design and manufacture the travelling stall and performance space
- we will promote the scheme and raise awareness of its targets / intentions
- we will link in with other local initiatives
We will link in with other local initiatives such as Carnaval Del Pueblo, Plaza Latina, Peabody sites in East Street, East Street Market, Living Walworth, etc.