Funds for Farms: Conserving Barnard’s Orchard
A CHARITABLE FUNDRAISER BY
THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY
Help TLC permanently protect local community staple Barnard’s Orchard, a fourth generation family farm in Chester County.
The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County (TLC) is working with the Barnard family to place an agricultural conservation easement on the family property, established in 1862 and long serving the community via its orchard and farm store. Conserving the property will ensure that the lands remain in active agriculture in perpetuity and eliminate the possibility of future development.
An easement on Barnard’s Orchard protects the land and benefits the neighbors via the following:
- ensures long-term food production capabilities in the region;
- maintains access to locally grown produce, which is proven to be healthier and economically beneficial;
- prevents development, which limits future impact on the Brandywine Creek watershed;
- maintains the Orchard property to better handle stormwater, which decreases area flood risks; and
- preserves the rural vistas that define southern Chester County.
Matching grants via the Federal Farm Bill and the County Agricultural Land Preservation Board as well as some private foundations and individual donations have helped raise the majority of the funds needed leaving only 5% of the project cost left to raise. The grants TLC has been awarded require closing this fall so donate today to ensure the permanent protection of this valuable community resource.
Be part of the solution and contribute today! All amounts will help us complete this important conservation project.
Donate online above OR send check payable to TLC to: The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County 541 Chandler Mill Road Avondale, PA 19311