x

RSS Newsfeeds

See all RSS Newsfeeds

Global Regions

United States ( XML Feed )

Aug 5, 2016 7:14 EST

Danielle – Black Sheep Bride is an online wedding and lifestyle publication devoted to socially conscious and sustainable couples, vendors and products that value giving back

iCrowdNewswire - Aug 5, 2016

Danielle

United States
 
 
Borrower image
 

Danielle’s story

My name is Danielle and I based in Tampa, FL. I was raised lower income, however I was always taught the benefit of giving back and helping others. In high school I picked up photography and upon graduating I fundraised my way to South Africa, where I taught in the squatter camps along side Table Mountain. Fast forward ten years, multiple mission/humanitarian trips, two children and a thriving wedding photography business with my husband, I found myself compartmentalized in ways I felt were unnecessary. After a heart breaking trip to Burkina Faso, West Africa in 2014, I started Black Sheep Bride (BSB,) an online wedding and lifestyle publication devoted to socially conscious and sustainable couples, vendors and products that value giving back. We began our startup journey in Jacksonville, FL at a Pitch Festival called One Spark. Since our launch we have participated in 2 business incubator programs that collapsed mid-way through (due to lack of funds,) however we’ve managed to grow our socially conscious wedding directory to nearly 200 vendors across the nation, by bootstrapping alone. We also have over 16K followers on our social media and have been deemed one of the most disruptive voices in the wedding industry to date. I also spend a lot of time traveling to speak across the nation to various audiences about the power of connecting your passion with purpose and even gave a TEDx Talk this past Spring. As our brand awareness and momentum grows, our expenses, interest and debt grows as well, so we are in a pivotal scaling season and need all the help we can get. 

This loan is special because:

It supports a mother’s socially driven enterprise in Tampa, Florida.

Kiva staff

More about this loan

Business Description

After a heart breaking humanitarian trip to Burkina Faso, West Africa photographing orphanages in 2014, I found myself living two separate worlds: One photographing lavish, excessive wedding scenes and one photographing poor, absent, and abandoned third world scenes. A few months after that trip, I started Black Sheep Bride. BSB is an online wedding and lifestyle publication devoted to socially conscious and sustainable couples, vendors and products that value giving back. We began our startup journey in Jacksonville, FL at a Pitch Festival called One Spark. Since our launch we have participated in 2 business incubator programs that collapsed mid-way through (due to lack of funds,) however we’ve managed to grow our socially conscious wedding directory to nearly 200 vendors across the nation, by bootstrapping alone. We also have over 16K followers (comprised of vendors, social enterprise brands and engaged couples) on our social media and have been deemed one of the most disruptive voices in the wedding industry to date. The most fulfilling aspect of our brand story would be the opportunities I’ve been given to travel and speak across the nation to various audiences about the power of connecting your passion with purpose, including a TEDx Talk this past Spring. As our brand awareness and momentum grows, our expenses, interest and debt grows as well, so we are in a pivotal scaling season and need all the help we can get. Our goal is to hire at least one employee in the next 6 months, to assist me in managing our content, event schedule and acquire at least 1000 vendor sign ups in sales in the next 12 months. Sales is our biggest challenge, because we are still a newer wedding publication and trying to gain the press we deserve, while also turning that attention into vendor sign-ups and advertising, can be complex, with constantly growing/start-up traffic.

What is the purpose of this loan?

As a startup business that has had its fair share of obstacles we’ve accumulated a significant amount of debt, along side high interest rates. We will be using 80% of this KIVA loan to help us refinance that debt. We will be using the remaining 20% of Kiva loan to assist in our national brand awareness growth, marketing and sales!

BSB will be impacted tremendously by this loan by removing the excessive monthly interest (and family stress) from our expenses. It will also assist me in gaining the momentum/in-person sales needed in strategic markets that have expressed interest in our mission, that I haven’t accessed yet.

About Black Sheep Bride

Industry: Services
Years in operation: 1 year – 3 years
Website: blacksheepbride.com

A loan of $5,000 helps us consolidate debt and gain working capital.

Contact Information:

Danielle

View Related News >
support