PROJECT PRINCIPE 2016
We dream and make education and sustainable development happen at the African Portuguese-speaking countries.
This is Sonha, Faz e Acontece mission and Project Principe 2016 is another step towards that goal. We are going back to Principe for the fifth year in a row and during four months we will be implementing activities that urge to respond to that community’s needs.
We highlight the following activities:
1. Xináa Fogáa (“Learn how to play”) Summer Camp – around 100 children will be taking part of our Summer Boot Camp with leisure and training activities;
2. Gravana School – continuous training for youngsters from 12 years old onwards in the following subjects: Portuguese, English, Spanish, Computer Science, Nature Science and Maths;
3. Rebuilding the library and the school’s canteen at Porto Real – renovating Porto Real’s school library with new dictionaries and school books and improving the room where students have their meals;
4. Public space cleaning campaigns – organizing deep cleaning campaigns at the Porto Real and Évora beach settlements and involving the community;
5. School gardens – monitoring the Porto Real’s school garden, created with Príncipe Project in 2015, aiming at developing local agriculture and farming habits for community use;
6. Traineeships – promoting short internships for youngsters from 16 up to 18 years old, partnering with companies implemented on the island of Príncipe;
7. Entrepreneurship Competition – conducting mentoring sessions and follow-up business ideas developed by local entrepreneurs and financially supporting to two winning ideas, as well as providing remote monitoring;
8. Gravana University – continuing education in Management and Marketing, Development and Sustainable Tourism, Portuguese, English and Computer Science aimed at youngsters/young adults from 16 years old onwards.
Projects will be developed in the field by a team of 25 volunteers: 21 Portuguese volunteers and 4 Príncipe locals, from July till October. For more information about the Project please check out blog (portuguese only).
BUDGET AND DUE DATES
The crowdfunding campaign ends on July, 22nd. During the past 9 months, the volunteers organized several fundraising activities. So far, the fundraising amounts to up to 3.000 euros. Our main goal is to raise the remaining amount of money we need to develop all the planned activities through this crowdfunding platform.
This is the fourth time Sonha, Faz e Acontece finances its project through this crowdfunding platform. In 2013, Project Principe 2013 raised the amount needed to rebuild the school in Roça Abade (in Principe Island) and in 2014 and 2015 it surpassed the the initially set target