JimGump is an educational challenge that will see Britain’s Jim Plunkett-Cole turn Forrest Gump’s epic fictional run into a reality. Jim’s run will cover a staggering 20,000 miles, criss-crossing the United States many times for more than 3 years.
The run will be interspersed with hundreds of Talk & Run Elementary School visits*, Jim speaking to hundreds of thousands of children with the aim of inspiring an entire generation of young children into daily physical activity and healthy lifestyles.
Combined, Forrest Gump’s epic run and school visits will help to tackle obesity and weight issues in both children and adults.
Initial funds are required to cover the costs of starting the challenge on October 1 and to fund the first few months of the challenge, so we’re asking for your faith in Jim’s project right here:
Please give what you can to get JimGump running, he cannot start this epic challenge without you!
Who is Jim?
Jim Plunkett-Cole is an economist and analyst from Frome in Somerset. He’s closer to 50 than 40, but younger than he’s ever been thanks to running and the journey’s he has taken, inspired by the London 2012 Olympics.
- Since January 2013, he has run 10k every day with his trusty collie Alfredo.
- In 2015, he completed a triathlon every day – swimming 750m, cycling 40km and running 10k
- He set up the daily active Kx365 initiative for adults to be physically active every day for a year, supporting and encouraging each other via social media. So far, more than 1,000 adults have registered to take part in the challenge.
- He’s delivered a program of his unique Talk & Run visits to Elementary Schools across England, inspiring and running with thousands of children.
- Through all of the above, he’s raised more than £25,000 for good causes, and he’s not done yet.
*What’s a Talk & Run visit?
A Talk & Run visit comprises a half hour picture presentation talk about the JimGump challenge and the amazing experiences and sights seen and visited with a Q&A session at the end.
Jim talks about the importance of daily physical activity, good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. The talk is followed by a short run with the children and a fun group photo.
The visits, which can also be accompanied by a planned lesson, are based upon a series of hugely successful visits to UK schools by Jim in 2016.