AHHHH! We have 39 days to raise $20,000!
“This magazine is long overdue. The cultures [Black and White] are so different, so it’s hard for me to listen to non-African-Americans on parenting skills.” — S. Cobbs, Argonne, IL
“Thank you for coming out with a magazine on Black parenting!” –Ms. Jackson, Philadelphia, PA
A Parent’s Perspective
We celebrate families. We celebrate differences and it’s okay.
In 1993, we looked at 60 different parenting magazine covers and not one of them featured a child or parent of color, except for one that showed a mixed-race child. Barely one-out-of-60!
IT’S IMPORTANT BLACK CHILDREN SEE THEMSELVES IN MEDIA TOO
Just as seeing positive body images is for young girls, it is just as important for young Black children to see themselves in mainstream media. If fosters positive self-esteem and good citizenship.
“You can’t be what you can’t see,” therefore it’s important for children and parents to see themselves reflected in positive, successful images. – Janice Celeste, Editor-in-Chief
- Magazine mock-up design and protype
- Design and production of the media kit
- Target audience development
- Content marketing research
- Social media development
- Photography/illustrations for online website
- Legal filings to make sure we’re legit
Speaking of engaged followers, do you follow us on Twitter?
Click here to view the website at SuccessfulBlackParenting.com.
Your contribution helps us to get the ball rolling with the research and development needed to produce this magazine. This magazine is distributed for free to doctor’s offices and practitioners that work with Black children.
The Time Is Now
And it’s never been so urgent:
Successful Black Parenting magazine is the voice of the Black parent. At a time when Black lives aren’t valued and society sees our children as adults it’s important that any publication supporting this community, be an advocate for the community, and that’s what this magazine is all about.
We are launching with research and development. We started with a website to develop engaged followers, to find out what parents want to know, and how they want to receive information.
We can’t do this without your support. We won’t do this magazine without your support. It’s so important for us to have the community’s support.
This magazine is written by parents, for parents and your contribution helps to make this magazine a reality once again.
- Successful Black Parenting magazine is the voice of Black parents. Our staff represents you, our articles represent you and the images represents you and your family. When experts seek out a Black parent representative, they come to us. We set the record straight, tell it like it is and make sure the Black family is represented well.
- Successful Black Parenting’s circulation grew to 100k and we won several awards. Our founder, Janice Celeste went on tour talking to Black families throughout the United States and will do so again.
- We have a new livestream talk show called, “BackTalk” where we interview parents and experts like Tracy Martin, the father of Trayvon Martin; experts on African-American genealogy from Ancestry.com; and more.
Risks & Challenges
There’s always a risk with any business and we’re minimizing this risk by doing our research in advance of publishing a print magazine. Some people say print is dying but it’s not, it’s evolving. We are looking into printing on-demand for subscribers and printing our regular run for doctor’s offices and practitioners working with Black children and their parents.
- They say that “You learn from failure, not success” and boy have we learned. Many entrepreneurs have failed time and time again but what made them a success is that they never gave up. We waited until the right time to relaunch this so that we can proceed wisely. This campaign is for research and development only. This is the first baby step to the bigger picture.
- We are working to minimize risk by developing a mock-up to pre-sell advertising. We will not launch until we have 60 percent of the print magazine filled with paid advertising. We can guarantee an initial launch of 40,000 magazines via free circulation.
Other Ways You Can Help
WAIT! We recognize some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean you can’t HELP:
- We need you to be our biggest cheerleaders! Not only share this campaign but Tweet about us, post about us, get people to follow us. We want engaged followers, then the advertisers will come. We like it when the advertisers advertise on our website and in the print magazine!
- We need you to make some noise about our campaign. Send a private message to those who you think will invest. We know a limited amount of people but if each of you would send this to just three people who have the means to make our magazine happen then we all win.
- We like to make it easy on you because parents are super busy. Use Indiegogo share tools to help us out and make our campaign a success!
And that’s all there is to it. Remember just $5 can help. Hey, that’s like the price of a Happy Meal. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your participation. You made us happy!
“A parenting magazine created with our kids in mind . . . ”— Essence magazine