Cameras for kids
Providing cameras for underprivileged kids for a new photography program in Kolkata, India
You have the opportunity to partner with three photographers as they introduce the world of photography to two different groups of children in Kolkata India.
The first group of children is connected to an established local group that works with children trapped in a life within the “red-light” brothel district. The second group is of young eager students attending HCS Elementary School in the Pikhana slums of Kolkata, once made famous as being the backdrop for the movie “the City of Joy”.
Not only will we be teaching the children, we will also be training local teachers to be able to continue this project. We believe the arts have a way of grabbing hold of a child and giving them a creative outlet, an escape, a voice.
It has been said, “A child trained and educated in the arts changes themselves, their family, their community and even the world”. We want to empower each child within this program with the ability to positively impact themselves and others around them.
What We Need
- We are looking to raise $5000.00 to provide cameras for the children.
- Each of these cameras will be used by multiple students.
- A gallery exhibition of the children’s photography works is scheduled in Kolkata at the end of the program. Funds raised in excess of our goal will help cover the expense of printing and framing of the children’s artwork.
- Your generous donation will provide a camera to a child. Imagine the joy that a simple camera will bring to each child.
- The children will gain new skills, build self-confidence and experience a new found self-worth.
- It is proven that exposure to the arts helps advance a child’s education. Poor education is a problem around the globe, be part of the solution!
- Photography will allow these children to express and tell their stories with the power to truly move people.
Risks & Challenges
We cannot be successful in working with these kids without the right tools. With or without the help of others we will be heading to India to start this program. Please help us achieve our goal.
- The better the tools the better we can serve these kids.
- Our biggest challenge will be accommodating the large number of children waiting for this program.
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean they can’t help:
- Please help spread the word and make some noise about our campaign!
We thank you for helping us shape the focus of a child!
She’s a dreamer, traveler and championne. She’s also a photographer. Prefers real moments, genuine people, hearing long life stories over libations and is rapt with the desire to create honest emotive imagery that transcends time.
An International award winning photographer, her work has been published in the New York Times, VANITY FAIR, Under the Gum Tree and Paris Lit Up. She began her work in 2005 and specializes in wedding, portrait and fine art commissions.
When she isn’t traversing the globe she can be found in Oakland, California.http://www.sarahdawson.net/
Steve is a husband to one, father of two and a friend of many. He resides in Granite Bay California, with his wife and two daughters.
Mark has been shooting high-quality photographs for over twenty years. Always interested in teaching others the art of good photography, he began conducting workshops emphasizing the various aspects of photography. These workshops have now been attended by thousands of amateur and professional photographers from around the world. As well, he reaches thousands of photographers through his website, www.Lightingasylum.com.
When not working in the studio or conducting workshops throughout the United States, Mark spends most of his free time with his wife and their four children. Together, they enjoy boating, camping, hiking and riding quads in the mountains near their home in Redding, California.
Cameras for kids is a project of Zedbridge, a 501(c)3 non profit organization. Zedbridge’s mission is help underprivileged children escape the bonds of poverty and hopelessness by providing education, life skills, values, a caring and safe environment. To empower them to successfully move into the mainstream of society, have active and creative minds, a sense of understanding and compassion for others, and the courage to act on their beliefs. www.zedbridge.org
All donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law