The Butterfly Project: Warrior Bootcamp for Boys
The Warrior Bootcamp for Boys will teach coping skills to deal with emotions such as anger and grief, as well as the effects of trauma and environmental stress in an effort to decrease community violence.
The Warrior Bootcamp for Boys is a 6 week free summer camp being offered at Cudell Recreation for boys ages 11-13.
The purpose of the camp is to teach coping skills to deal with emotions such as anger and grief, as well as the effects of trauma and environmental stress in an effort to decrease community violence. We will work with boys to understand the concepts of conflict management, teamwork, autonomy, healthy masculinity, personal safety, self-regulation and empowerment through interactive workshops and physical training.
- Conflict Management
- Emotional Self-Regulation Intervention
- Violence Prevention
Tuesdays: Physical Training (personal safety, autonomy and mindfulness):
– 6 sessions, at least 3 sessions to take place at Edgewater Park
Martial Arts, Warrior Yoga and Meditation, Drumming
Thursdays: Workshops/Conversation Topics:
1. De-escalation in Moments of Conflict
2. Emotional Regulation: Mind/Body Connection
3. Managing masculinity Through the Lens of Yin/Yang Principles
4. Leadership and Empowerment: How to be a leader every day
5. Gender Violence and Bystander Intervention
6. Peacebuilding/Teamwork through the Arts
Facilitators are experts in the field of conflict resolution, performance arts,
why we’re doing it
The vision of the program is to develop community peacebuilders who take responsibility for their own actions through mindfulness, self-control and effective emotional regulation techniques. By addressing the root cause of violence and aggression, we will be able to potentially prove outcomes which will impact the safety of the greater community.