What they do: Emberlight turns any light bulb into a smart bulb that can be controlled through their elegantly designed mobile app. Screw their adapter into one of your home’s sockets, and 30 seconds later you can program preset lighting, and turn off the lights when you’re out of the house.
Why it’s a big deal: Wirelessly controlled lighting is clearly a part of how we will interact with our homes in the future. By making it possible to make any bulb smart for less than $50 and in under thirty seconds, Emberlight is building that future today. By focusing on software which they do best, the team has found a channel to over 36 million new customers : via partnerships with existing light bulb manufacturers. They are already going through trials with 6 of the world’s largest. Even with established partners, Emberlight owns the mobile user experience, giving them access to never before seen data on how consumers light their homes, and an established channel to upsell other products.
- $370,000 in pre-sales.
- Target wants to roll out Emberlight in 1,800 stores. They go live in the first few next month.
- Walmart, Lowe’s, Best Buy, and Bed Bath & Beyond are interested.
- Launching on Amazon next month.
- Home light automation typically costs $25k – $250k.
- Margin: 70% when produced in Asia.
- Global demand for lighting is increasing 16% every year.
HOW IT WORKS
That’s it. No additional complex wireless hub to install and then configure.
Our smartphone app guides you through connecting to your home’s Wi-Fi network.
Then take control with a tap, proximity, or on a schedule you set.