“BORN FROM A LONG LOVE AFFAIR WITH SOURDOUGH BREAD, THE SNAPERY AIM IS SIMPLE: WE WANT TO BRING BETTER BREAD TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. NATURAL BREAD IS DELICIOUS, DIGESTIBLE AND MAKES A DAMN GOOD SANDWICH.”
The Snapery is expanding and we need your help in the final steps to continue making delicious sourdough bread.
We’ve got plenty of great rewards on offer, from £5-£250, including Snapery loaves, bread-making kits, invites to the Snapery backers party and baking lessons in the new space.
THE SNAPERY STORY
The yeasty experiments started just over three years ago in my kitchen at home and what started as an elaborate hobby quickly became a part of everyday life. Like many who start their own business, I was unhappy in the 9-5, and so last year made the leap from amateur to professional, taking with me the culinary lessons I’d learned from six years as a chef and a growing passion for good bread. We started small, selling wholesale to local restaurants, and after a successful, albeit effing tough, first year we’re expanding into bigger premises, so we can supply more restaurants and retailers across London.
In short, the last year has been crazy, during which we’ve:
– baked over 25,000 loaves of bread!
– built up a comprehensive product range including: five varieties of sourdough loaves, baguettes, ciabatta and focaccia.
– gained a loyal customer base including some of the most well-established restaurants in Bermondsey such as Casse Croute, Bar Tozino and Comptoir Gourmand.
– trained an apprentice, who will become the first Snapery employee (!) in early 2016.
Starting The Snapery is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, but it hasn’t been all plain sailing. Within the first eight months we were at full capacity of the old space, baking as much bread as we could, with a constant demand for more. We’ve since found a new space and work has already started, but we need some help for the last push to get The Snapery 2.0 up and running.
The new space will house an oven that can bake five times the amount of bread we’re currently producing. This means that we’ve had to invest in new mixers and fridges to accommodate the increased capacity. The space and main pieces of equipment have already been organised, so the money we raise will help pay for the installation of the extraction, the plumbing and electrical work and the final pieces of equipment needed to create a mid-size, functioning bakery. The next step in the grand Snapery plan.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL ABOUT SNAPERY SOURDOUGH?
– All natural, made with no additives or preservatives
– Unique taste from starter made from Ukranian hop flowers (available to you as part of the Deluxe Baking Kit and Snapery Sensation rewards!)
– Slow food – a slow-proved Snapery loaf takes more than 24 hours to make, the long fermentation makes the bread easily digestible.
– Locally made in Bermondsey
– Lasts up to one week – longer than most artisan bread
– Makes bloody great sandwiches, toast, croutons, stuffing, the list goes on!
BE IN TOUCH
Obviously, any help is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions about this project, or bread in general for that matter, just drop me a line by firstname.lastname@example.org or through social media: