Transfiguration’ features renowned international contemporary circus artists and dancers. The project showcases their unique physicality and explores the spirit of the performer. Like a mask, layers of body paint and powder disguise the identity of the subject, and release something animalistic from within. In the final images a sculpted, abstract, less human figure emerges.
Who & What
My name is Ben Hopper and I’m a London based photographer primarily working with dancers, circus artists and contemporary nudes.
I’ve been given the opportunity to exhibit my recent photo-project ‘Transfiguration’ in Paris and London. All of the venues have been very kind to offer me the spaces free of charge but I need to raise the money for the production of the exhibitions.
That’s where YOU come in; with your help we can make these exhibitions a reality. The funds raised in this Kickstarter will go straight to cover the costs of the artwork production and all other basic costs (more details below).
Exhibitions details (dates / locations)
- 2016, January 28-31 (Paris, France) at the prestigious Festival Mondial du Cirque de Demain(EN: World Festival of the Circus of Tomorrow).
- 2016, April 4-24, 2016 (London, UK) at the Roundhouse as part of CircusFest circus festival.
- 2016, March 31-April 13 (London, UK) solo show at theprintspace.
These 3 exhibitions will expose the talent of more than 20 dancers and circus artists. They will be viewed by more than 30,000 people attending the said events and an astonishing online immediate reach of nearly 1 million people combined to begin with.
Let’s push the art of contemporary circus and dance forward!
What makes ‘Transfiguration’ such a unique project is its ability to expose new audiences to circus arts and dance – over one million people have engaged with photography from the project due to the publicity received so far. By conducting a triple exhibition at Cirque de Demain, theprintspace and the Roundhouse, the exhibition aims to cross-fertilise interest and knowledge of circus arts, dance and photography to each respective audience, as well as continue growing and developing my personal audiences by providing them with a new set of works to engage with, and three new spaces to engage with them in.
Selected press quotes
“…more like 3D Jackson Pollock paintings or John Chamberlain sculptures than human beings.” – The Huffington Post
“Photographer Ben Hopper‘s “Transfiguration” project transforms his subjects into living sculptures. Each photo is charged with kinetic energy, only heightened by the bold streaks of body paint and splatters of white powder. Some of the photographs look like cubist paintings because of the contrast between black, white, and human flesh along with the seemingly impossible angles and feats of flexibility performed by the subjects. The body paint looks almost like strokes of charcoal, creating depth while also the illusion of two-dimensionality.” –Beautiful/Decay
“Hopper challenges art through his photography by engaging bodies, faces and people in general within his settings.” – EverythingWithATwist
I chose the rewards carefully, making sure you can get your hands on tangible prints from just £10! Please look out for the ‘early birds’ offers which are there to get the project closer to the first goal of £4500 faster. For any questions feel free to email at [email protected] Thank you, so much! 🙂
Breakdown of Costs and Campaign Stretch Goals (estimated as minimum needed in descending priority order)
The main costs I’m seeking to cover are the prints production. We plan 3 exhibitions in 3 different venues and as much as I’d like to use the same prints it’ll be hard to achieve. The prints for theprintspace are estimated as 45 prints in A2 size which fill the gallery space. The size may vary (less prints in bigger sizes) but this formula works according to theprintspace. For The Roundhouse we’ve agreed to produce 10 bigger prints. For Cirque de Demain we are currently in the planning phase. We have a LOT of space but I’d like to be able to use some of those prints in London later. This is why the amount below covers the costs of theprintspace & The Roundhouse alone. It’s the minimum I need to get me going with something.
I hope to stretch this project’s goal to give us some more breathing space with the planning and budget.
- £4500 -> A total of 55 C-type prints in various sizes mounted on 5mm foamex boards.
- £1000 -> additional prints produced for Cirque de Demain.
- £1000 -> London-Paris Transport / installation costs.
- £200 -> Installation Costs & Transport (Roundhouse).
- £100 -> Studio White Paper Background Roll x 2 for the creation of new work (early 2016).
- £150 -> Flyers (Print, 5000 A5)
- £500-1500 -> Online, local and national marketing
- £750 -> Press & Opening Night Event Costs (theprintspace)
- £950 -> Video Documentation of Opening Nights (total of 3 exhibitions estimated at around £350/€350 each)
- £675-> Stills Photography of Opening Night (total of 3 exhibitions estimated at around £250/€250 each)
- £300 Contingency @ 5%
As you can see it not cheap. The additional costs come up to almost £7,000. We’re talking about a total of about £9,200-11,000 to produce these 3 exhibitions properly.
I hope to use this campaign to give us additional support. Meanwhile, I am seeking support from other organisations, brands, art funds as well as trying to secure sales of the artwork.
- December 2015 – March 2016: Creating new work in my London studio. Some of this new work will be premiered at the April exhibitions.
- July 2016: Visit Montreal for a month-long visit to hold ‘Transfiguration’ studio photography sessions with celebrated local circus artists. Montreal is a ‘Mecca’ for circus; home to some of the world’s finest circus artists and base of some of the world’s biggest circus companies such as Cirque du Soleil, Les 7 doigts de la main (7 Fingers) and Cirque Éloize. It is also home toThe National Circus School, one of the most celebrated circus schools as well as the renowned circus festival Montréal Complètement Cirque held annually in July.
- 2017: Publish ‘Transfiguration’ – the book!
Participants so far
Alana Bloom / Alejandra Baño / Bryony Owl / Cassia Chloe / Edouard Doye / Emma Farnell-Watson / Fiona Thornhill / Garance Hubert-Samson / Guillaume Blais / Hauk Pattison / Imogen Rose Palmer / Jessica Ladley / Jonathan Fortin / Kaner Flex / Lauren Taylor / Leilani Franco / Lil Rice / Luca Chiarva / Lucie Roux / Rachel Burn / Sasha Flexy / Shakirudeen “Bonetics” / Yammel Rodriguez.