Project One Zero – Community Arts
Project One Zero is a brand spanking new Art Collective based on The Cally ( Caledonian Road – North London ) at Bemerton Art Studios and is the brainchild of local Photographer and Free Art Friday Enthusiast : Anne-Marie Salmon.
Our aim is to provide affordable, commission free gallery space and an arts hub for both local and non-local Artists. Where people can come to network, run and attend workshops, buy and sell affordable art or just pop in for a coffee and a chat.
The space will be run by the Collective on a voluntary basis meaning we will give our time to install, curate, invigilate, run ( free/concessionary ) workshops and make sure the space is open and accessible to ALL.
We hope to create an exciting and worthwhile exhibition, events and workshop program that the local community as a whole can benefit from.
This is very much a Community Space and our ethos is to keep it that way.
What we’ll do:
- Take up a Full Time Residency in Workshop 4 – Bemerton Art Studios.
- Give local Artists an opportunity to exhibit and sell their artwork – commission free.
- Host fortnightly workshops and month screenings.
- Create a Gallery Space that sells affordable art.
- Provide a non-judgmental creative platform to those who would not normally access Art.
- Create an Art Space that is open and accessible to ALL – making necessary adjustments for disabled access.
- Encourage the local community to be involved with the running of and decision making about the future of the space.
- Provide a makeshift Reference/Resource Library of Art Books for the community to access whilst at Project One Zero.
- Make minimal renovations.
- Engage with independent publishers, film makers and businesses.
- Host not Art events with a community interest.
Why it’s a great idea:
Project One Zero will be based underneath the Bemerton Estate in an area which has an extremely diverse population.
We hope to bring people together, build relationships and create an exciting and interesting space with a varied arts program, events and workshops that we not only hope to engage the local and wider community but to inspire too.
Whilst doing our best to support local emerging Artists.
We hope to create a welcoming, vibrant and interactive space on a busy Street that like many are now affected by the recent economic downtown and rising rents wish has resulted in many disused shops and spaces.
How we’ll get it done:
- Engage with local Artists.
- Engage with the local community.
- Project One Zero will host fortnightly workshops and monthly screenings for the local community.
- Engage with local businesses who can help to support Project One Zero.
- Ensure a % of all future rental income is put back into supporting the continued running of Project One Zero.
- As a Collective we will utilise each other and carry out as much of the work as possible ourselves.
Project One Zero feel it is important to credit ALL those who would pledge to support us and help to make this a success.
And as a small token of our appreciation we will make available a wall space with the names of ALL those that have contributed.