Bristol Grand Prix is a day of cycle events and races to put Bristol on the sporting map and inspire Bristolians to #lovethefuture of cycling.
About the project
The inaugural Bristol Grand Prix Cycle Race, organised by Le Sportif & the Big Green Week CIC team will take place on Saturday 20 June 2015. Big Green Week is a Programme Partner for Bristol European Green Capital 2015. Cyclists will take over the streets of Bristol to inspire people of all ages and abilities to #lovethefuture of cycling.
The exciting 1.3km figure-of-eight course traverses the centre of Bristol, crossing over and under Park Street to offer exciting and fast-paced action for both racers and spectators. Each of the competitive races will attract in the region of 50 participants from professional, semi-professional and licensed amateur backgrounds competing to become our first Bristol Grand Prix champions.
Bristol Grand Prix has serious ambitions – we want to become a staple event on the national race circuit and offer Bristolians and visitors to our great city an exciting race spectacle to enjoy.
The race schedule for Saturday 20th June 2015 will be:
- 2.30pm ‘Love My Bike’ lap for public entry
- 3.00pm Junior / Youth race
- 3.45pm Corporate Relay Race
- 4.45pm Men’s category 3 and 4
- 5.45pm Women’s elite, category 1, 2, 3 and 4
- 6.45pm Men’s elite, category 1 and 2
We have much bigger ambitions than just being an annual cycle race – we want to create a platform and a legacy that inspires us all to #getBristolcycling for travel, leisure and sport. We want to collaborate to promote a cycling culture that is diverse, accessible and inclusive for Bristolians at all levels and abilities. Bristol Grand Prix will enhance and add further momentum to all the great cycling activity already happening in Bristol.
In 2015, we are promoting the development of cycling by:
- Using the event and our work with media and other partners to provide visible sporting role models that inspire Bristolians to participate in cycling!
- Promoting existing cycling clubs, opportunities and businesses
- Pro-actively supporting the growing women’s race scene in Bristol and West of England by offering equal prize money and alternating headline races annually
- Using the race platform to generate investment locally in cycling development activity for youth and women riders
- Actively promoting the need for greater road safety to encourage more cycling in Bristol
- Raising awareness of and supporting the work of two cycling organisations that open up cycling to those who may not have access otherwise:
Support Bristol Grand Prix
The Bristol Grand Prix needs you to invest to make the event a success – you can do this by investing your time, by entering the race or pledging money for one of our exclusive rewards. We want a race to inspire Bristol that is built by Bristol.
Big Green Week is an independent not-for-profit Community Interest Company, investing resources in Bristol to #lovethefuture.
If you want to talk to us about getting involved in any other way, please contact us using the tab above.
Get your company involved
We have a number of corporate team relay and other packages available, please contact us to find out more about these.
Alternatively, you can sign up right here, see the full Rewards list, to advertise your company or organisation on banners on the race route. NB discounts are available for not-for-profit organisations.
Alternatively, if you have any other ideas about how you or your company would like to be involved, do please contact us using the tab above.
Important Information For Racers
- Overall £2,000 prize pot for racers
- This is a British Cycling registered event
- All racers must hold and show on the day the appropriate British Cycling licence for their category of entry, attend the pre-race briefng and pre-ride the course as directed
- All racing remains subject to licensing and agreed permissions
- Race times are fixed as per schedule, any change will be due to unforeseen circumstance or at the discretion of the Race Commissar
- A racer handbook will be issued in advance, a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the event; this will be sent by email (please ensure your race entry pledge is not anonymous or we will not be able to contact you with details)
- Any questions about racing or if you have any difficulties registering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bristol Grand Prix Cycle Race is supported by Bristol City Council, Bristol Sport and the Bristol Partnership for Sport and Active Recreation.
“Bristol was awarded the European Green Capital award for 2015 because of our determination to become a sustainable city and part of that is getting people into active transport, walking and on their bikes. So I am delighted to have the Bristol Grand Prix Cycle ride taking place during Big Green Week, organised by Bristol people for Bristol people.
Please get behind it on June 20th. Bring your family down, it will be hugely enjoyable. I will be there on my bike leading the way!”
George Ferguson, Mayor of Bristol
“I am really excited that Bristol is going to have its own city centre road race at long last. Cycling is already the most popular participation sport in Bristol, and the thrills of taking part in or watching these high-octane races around our streets will definitely encourage even more Bristolians to get on their bikes!
Our city is perfect for this type of sporting event, as we showed last year when we hosted one of the most exciting legs of the Tour of Britain cycle road race. As Chairman of a new city-wide partnership for sport, I want to see more of these home-grown events taking place, and becoming fixtures on UK-wide racing and sports events calendars. We are already working hard to bring many more national and international sporting events to Bristol in the future.
Our city has a huge passion for sport, so I am sure that the Bristol Grand Prix will prove to be a massive success, and will show once again that Bristol has what to takes to put on the very best spectator and participant experience.”
Colin Sexstone, Chair of Bristol Partnership for Sport and Active Recreation