French chic in the interior: the art of eclecticism
iCrowdNewswire Sep 28, 2020 9:55 AM ET
Fashionable, elegant, sophisticated, and practical – these are the epithets that characterize this style. There is no room for deliberate luxury and excessiveness. The design is based on an eclectic combination of elements of Provence, classic, modern, and minimalism in a clear picture with recognizable features.
Modern French apartments: charm and moderation
- Demonstration of well-being in this direction is treated as a manifestation of bad taste, therefore the decoration of apartments and houses is far from pomp. The only exception is made for works of art: reproductions with rich carved frames skillfully emphasize the restrained beauty.
- The French chic style in the interior combines modern finishing materials, minimalist ideas with retro accessories, and antique furniture. However, it is not necessary to spend money on antiques. You can go to the flea market for antique accessories or age the decor yourself: use the craquelure effect, matte brass fittings, faded fabric. Or you can find online furniture that is made in an antique manner.
- Focusing on the simple and elegant furnishings typical of minimalism, the style does not limit itself to frames and organically integrates elements of Provence (especially in textile and furniture decor) and palace style in the form of luxurious lamps into the home interior. The main thing is to observe moderation. An abundance of antique or luxury items will overload the design and give it unwanted pretentiousness.
- The modern French style in the interior combines careful thoughtfulness and elaboration of finishing made of natural materials with a slight disorder in the arrangement of objects. A common technique is to poetically combine various textures in one setting. Thin muslin curtains on the windows can coexist with rough polished wood furniture and an elegant chandelier with porcelain shades.
- This design is sometimes referred to as “Norman”, after the name of the northern province. This is due to the predominance of light colors and the active use of white painted wood – a frequent case in the decor of Parisian apartments. To know more how to use white color in painting walls, you can read this article.
- You can embody the features of French chic in design both in a house and in urban housing. Basic wishes for the layout: high ceilings; large windows (“French” from the floor or double-height); spacious area with a predominance of separate rooms and corridors.
The main technique in the selection of the palette: one color is taken as a basis, and it is complemented with similar shades, without abrupt transitions. For example, beige, sandy, coffee are added to the dominant brown. If the accent color is white, the design includes cream, ash white, light beige, coffee with milk.
Calm pastel colors from pearl pink to gray-lilac look organically. Popular colors are white, gray, pink-coral. They will look especially beautiful in spacious rooms with good natural light. The absence of stark contrasts will make the decor subtle, while the combination of muted colors and rich finishes of antique furniture will add charm to the design.
The modern French style in interior design is spacious, well-lit rooms, carefully selected composition of antique furniture, rich textiles, forged details, crystal lamps. An eclectic and balanced combination of techniques from modern, Provence, and classics helps to combine attractive luxury and comfortable simplicity.