Spain Brazil Russia France Germany China Korea Japan

Artificial Intelligence driven Marketing Communications

Mar 20, 2020 1:00 AM ET

Single Status Affidavit Apostille

iCrowd Newswire - Mar 20, 2020

Do you need to apostille a single status affidavit?

If you are planning to get married in another country who is a member of the Hague Apostille Convention, you will be asked to apostille a document called a single status affidavit.  An apostille is a certificate issued by the state that authenticates the official who has signed your document. Since 1980, the United States has been a member of the Hague Apostille Convention.  There are currently 117 countries who are members.

A single status affidavit may also be referred to as:

Basically, you are obtaining a document that states you are currently not married to another person in the U.S.

The most common question we are asked is “How do I obtain a single status affidavit”?

The first step is to contact the local County Clerk’s office to request a document that states you are currently not married (AKA: Single Status Affidavit)  Some County Clerk offices may refer to this document in a different name.  Be sure to print out the eight names above so you can discuss with the local County Clerk’s office.  Most all County Clerk offices can provide you this document so please be sure to speak to a supervisor if you are told otherwise.  Note: A document issued from the County Clerk’s office does not require notarization.

Below is an example of a single status affidavit. If you decide to write your own, be sure to have this document signed and notarized before you mail it in to our office.

Single Status Apostille Example

If you are outside of the United States, the local U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate office should be able to assist you in completing a single status.  This document will require your signature and will need to be notarized by a U.S. Federal notary public.  Because you will be visiting a U.S. Federal Government office, this document can then only receive the apostille through our Washington DC apostille office.

Here is an example of a US Embassy or US Consulate Single Status Affidavit.  Not all U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulates have this document.  Hopefully, they will use the example below to create one for you.  Please note that this document must be signed by you and notarized by the U.S. Federal notary public located there.

Single Status Affidavit US Embassy

If you have previously been married, you will also be asked to obtain an apostille on a divorce decree.  A certified divorce decree can be obtained through the Court you were divorced in.  In some States, this court can also be called the Family Court, Superior Court, County Court, and Circuit Court.  The best way to obtain this document is to contact the Court directly and ask for a certified copy.

In addition to your single status affidavit, you will also need to obtain an apostille on your birth certificate and FBI background check.  We have provided detailed instructions here:

FBI Background Check Apostille

Birth Certificate Apostille

Obtaining an apostille can be complicated and time-consuming. Don’t leave this process to untrained employees or non-professionals who do not fully understand the apostille process and the unique requirements of certain countries. Your paperwork could be rejected costing you time and money. Don’t let this happen to you!

Our staff is available Monday-Saturday from 8am to 7pm to answer your questions and provide you easy to follow-step-by-step instructions.  Please call us at 1-800-903-2470 or visit our site and chat live with one of our knowledgeable representatives. 

Contact Information:

Mathew Johnston 1-800-903-2470 or 1-202-897-4070

Keywords:    single status apostille, single status affidavit apostille, certificate of non-impediment for marriage apostille, birth certificate apostille, divorce decree apostille

Tags:    Content Marketing, Extended Distribution, English