Sailcloth Market is forecast to reach $520 Million by 2025, after growing at a CAGR of 3.70% during 2020-2025. Sailcloth is made from flexible polymeric resins and fiber materials which provide impermeability, are more resistance to abrasion, protect the material from the degradation caused by the sun and moisture and are lightweight. Moreover, technological advancement in sailcloth such as development of bio-based fabrics is influencing the market growth positively during the forecast.
- Major manufacturers are focusing on product innovation and regional expansions to minimize the effect of increasing participation of domestic players.
- The predominant fiber for racing sails, Kevlar is stronger, has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than steel, and a higher modulus than Dacron (Polyester). It loses its strength with folding, flexing and flogging, and does not resist UV light well.
- Carbon fiber is a high modulus fiber made from carbon, virtually unaffected by UV exposure with exceptional low stretch. Carbon fiber sails are extremely durable and flexible, but costly.
By Type – Segment Analysis
Nylon sailcloth segment held a significant share in the sailcloth market
in 2019. Nylon is a lightweight material with superior abrasion resistance, high tensile strength and flexibility. However, it allows too much stretch for upwind sails as it has low modulus. Nylon is susceptible to chemical degradation and UV, and its properties can change due to moisture absorption.
By Application – Segment Analysis
Cruising sails held a significant share in the sailcloth market in 2019. Dacron is the standard sail fabric used for cruising sails. It has excellent resiliency, high abrasion and UV resistance, low cost and high flex strength. Fiber gets dried quickly due to its low absorbency property. It has relatively little stretch, retains its shape over long periods of time and wind ranges, and is resistant to mildew. Dacron sails can last up to 10 years if they are rarely used and stay out of heavy winds. The resin content of cruising sails is lower than that of racing sails, making cruising sails smoother, easier to handle and stow, and more shock absorbing.
Geography – Segment Analysis
Europe dominated the sailcloth market with a share of more than 39% during the forecast period. In various countries such as Denmark, U.K., France, Italy and Switzerland, high investments are being made for sailcloth used for cruising sails and racing sails. Growing demand for sailcloth is encouraging the domestic players to enter the market. According to European Cruise Council, the European cruise sails industry continues to grow, along with the social and economic benefits it brings to the region.
Drivers – Sailcloth Market
- Growing popularity of sailing
Rising purchasing power of consumers is fueling the participation in different sports and adventure activities including sailing. As sailcloth is as an essential component in sailing boat, the market for sailcloth is expected to be driven during the forecast period.
Challenges – Sailcloth Market
- High price of raw materials
Sailcloth is made from a range of materials including natural fibers such as cotton and flax in several forms of canvas, to synthetic fibers, which includes polyester, nylon, and carbon fibers in a variety of molded, spun and woven textiles. These are durable and expensive products.
Technology launches, acquisitions and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the sailcloth market. In 2019, the market of sailcloth has been consolidated by the top five players accounting for xx% of the share. Major players in the steel grating market are DIMENSION-POLYANT GmbH, Bainbridge International Limited, Challenge Sailcloth, Inc., Contender U.S., Doyle Sailmakers, Inc., British Millerain Co. Ltd., Aztec Tents, IYU Ltd., North Sails & North Technology Group, and Quantum Sails among others.
- In March 2019, Contender U.S launched new range of marine fabrics called Fibercon hybrid range which has better performance during impact change and good weaving density
- In February 2016, Bainbridge International launched a new range woven sailcloth called HSX, through which the company updated its existing sailcloth range to improve its performance.
IndustryARC primarily focuses on Cutting Edge Technologies and Newer Applications market research. Our Custom Research Services are designed to provide insights on the constant flux in the global supply-demand gap of markets. Our strong team of analysts enables us to meet the client research needs at a rapid speed, with a variety of options for your business. Any other custom requirements can be discussed with our team, drop an e-mail to email@example.com to discuss more about our consulting services.