Chlorine Market Overview:
According to the World Chlorine Organization, the total production capacity of chlorine is 58 million metric tons every year. Around 30% of chlorine is used in PVC, 5% in water sanitation, 5% in pulp and paper industry, 24% in solvents, 13 % for organic compounds, and 13% for inorganic compounds. The demand of chlorine from all the major sectors is driving the growth prospects of the chlorine market. Chlorine-based products are used for manufacturing of packaging, blood bags, and sterile tubing. Furthermore, chlorine is used to develop the semiconductors for diagnostic instruments. Almost all the sectors from industrial to residential deal with chlorine that is creating revenue avenues in the chlorine market which had a market size of around $14 billion as of 2018. Furthermore, the demand for chlorine will observe a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of around 4.8% during the forecast period of 2019 to 2025.
APAC dominated the chlorine market
in 2018 due to the increasing pace of the construction and automobile industry. The compounds in the construction and automobile sector contain chlorine. Owing to the fact that chlorine demand is boosting in APAC countries, the region held the maximum share that was assessed at around 55% in 2018.
Chlorine Market Outlook:
Chlorine is a chemical element and a strong oxidizing agent used to make several products in different sectors including security & transportation, technology, health & safety, and nutrition. The most common compound of chlorine is sodium chloride also known as common salt. Elemental chlorine can be dissolved in chemically basic water to use it as anti-putrefaction agents and disinfectants. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) has 57% content of chlorine. PVC is strong, extremely durable, and resistant to moisture. The growing demand for PVC from the automobile, packaging, and construction sectors is leading to a tangible demand influx in the chlorine market. The application of chlorine in the automation and construction industry will grow with a CAGR of around 4% through to 2025.
Chlorine Market Growth Drivers:
- Chlorine Protecting Drinking Water –
The World Health Organization (WHO) approved the use of chlorine as a major disinfectant. Chlorine can be added to water to disinfect it and kill germs. As per the government standards, the chlorine levels up to 4 milligrams per liter are considered safe in drinking water for domestic and industrial purposes. Many governments, non-profit, and business organizations all over the world are working on several projects of cleaning and protecting and filter water natural resources to provide clean and hygienic water in several sectors such as household, industrial, and other recreational activities. The regulations set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) permit the use of chloramine and chlorine for the treatment of water plants. These projects are initiated due to water scarcity in many rural areas and expected to add impetus to the chlorine market.
- Growing usage in Pharmaceutical and Personal Care Industry –
Chlorine is considered as the essential industrial chemical in various end-user industries. There has been an incredible demand for chlorine from the pharmaceutical industry as chlorine is considered a major ingredient in medical drugs. The drugs made from chlorine are prescribed for the treatment of asthma, blood pressure, epilepsy, inflammation, and anemia. The number of health issues arising globally is rising the demand for more drugs. The demand for chlorine from the pharmaceutical industry is increasing opportunities in the chlorine market.
- Chlorine Chemistry in Defense and Law Enforcement –
Protective equipment used in defense and law enforcement uses chlorine chemistry for their manufacturers. Defense equipment such as night vision goggles, rocket propellants, cockpit canopies, carbon reinforced polymers, bullet resistant glass, and airbags all are manufactured using the same process. The protection of army officials is highly important. Hence, the demand for these products is boosting the chlorine market.
- Chlorine in Crop Chemicals Protection
Chlorine is used to manufacture the chemicals for crop protection, which will help to boost the crop yields and quantity. The chemicals sprayed in crops provides essential nutrition to plants, and so, the demand for chlorine chemicals from agriculture sector is influencing the market size of the chlorine market.
Chlorine Market Trend:
- Chlorine Based Insecticides to Help Control Malaria –
As per the report by WHO, there were around 219 million cases of malaria that were reported out of which 435,000 people died in 2017. Insecticides are essential in preventing malaria. Innovative resistance management products are required to prevent mosquito borne diseases. Scientist has positively harnessed chlorfenapyr insecticide following the stringent WHO public health criteria, for use in mosquito nets. While this is leading to demand growth in the insecticides market, several insecticides are developed with chlorine as the main ingredient which is driving the chlorine market.
- Chlorine Chemistry to Improve Production and Developments
Titanium dioxide is used in solar power generation and optical devices for virtual and augmented reality, and it is also used in cameras. The use of chlorine with titanium enhance production by transforming and purifying the materials. This help to increase the amount of electricity generated from solar plants.
Chlorine Market Challenges:
Chlorine finds its application in many different sectors, but it is also toxic and hazardous. High demand for chlorine is warranting large scale production as well as transportation to the target locations. The chlorine is highly explosive and flammable. Hence, it requires a high level of safety. The vehicles used for transportation use specially designed pressurized tank containers which shoot up the logistics cost. Additionally, advanced protection requires are jacket or shield to cover the loading equipment and upgrade of the valve system to reduce risk of product loss. Even though this is making an impact on the overall business expenditure, the higher sales coupled with optimum costing of the chlorine is sustaining the profitability.
Chlorine Market: Key Players Perspective
Some of the major players in the global chlorine market are Dow Chemical, BASF SE, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Formosa Plastics Corporation, Ineos GroupOlin Corporation, PPG Industries, Tata Chemicals Limited, Tosoh Corporation, and Hanwha Chemical.
Chlorine Market Research Scope:
The base year of the study is 2018, with forecast done up to 2025. The study presents a thorough analysis of the competitive landscape, taking into account the market shares of the leading companies. It also provides information on unit shipments. These provide the key market participants with the necessary business intelligence and help them understand the future of the Chlorine Market. The assessment includes the forecast, an overview of the competitive structure, the market shares of the competitors, as well as the market trends, market demands, market drivers, market challenges, and product analysis. The market drivers and restraints have been assessed to fathom their impact over the forecast period. This report further identifies the key opportunities for growth while also detailing the key challenges and possible threats. The key areas of focus include the types of chlorine market, and its segmentation on the basis of production that includes mercury, membrane cell, and diaphragm.
Chlorine Market Report: Industry Coverage
The report analyses the product demands by the chlorine market on the basis of the application that include PVC, C1/C2, chemicals, chlorinated intermediaries, isocyanates, propylene oxide, pulp & paper, and water treatment.
The chlorine market report also analyzes the major geographic regions as well as the major countries in these regions. The regions and countries covered in the study include:
- North America: The U.S., Canada, Mexico
- South America: Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica
- Europe: The U.K., Germany, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark
- APAC: China, Japan, Australia, South Korea, India, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong
- Middle East and Africa: Israel, South Africa, Saudi Arabia
Key Questions Addressed in the Chlorine Market Report
- Is the market demand for chlorine growing? How long will it continue to grow and at what rate?
- Which type of home security system presents the major growth opportunities?
- Is there a possibility for change in the market structure over time?
- Are additional developments needed for the existing product or services offerings or do the existing products meet the customer demands?
- Do the key vendors look for partnerships to expand their businesses with respect to geography or product?
- What are the short-term, long-term, and medium-term growth drivers for the market?
- What are the short-term, medium-term, and long-term challenges for the market?
- What are the short-term, medium-term, and long-term opportunities for the market
- Who are the top players/companies of the market?
- What are the recent innovations in the market?
- How many patents have been filed by the leading players?
- What are the types of patents filed by the leading players?
- What is our Vision 2030 for chlorine acid market?
A Few Focus Points Of This Research Are Given Below:
- Give a deep-dive analysis of the key operational strategies with a focus on the corporate structure, R&D strategies, localization strategies, production capabilities, and sales performance of various companies
- Provide an overview of the product portfolio, including product planning, development, and positioning
- Discuss the role of technology companies in partnerships
- Explore the regional sales activities
- Analyze the market size and giving the forecast for the current and future global chlorine market during the forecast 2018–2023
- Analyze the competitive factors, competitors’ market shares, product capabilities, and supply chain structures
IndustryARC primarily focuses on Cutting Edge Technologies and Newer Applications market research. Our Custom Research Services are designed to provide insights on the constant flux in the global supply-demand gap of markets. Our strong team of analysts enables us to meet the client research needs at a rapid speed, with a variety of options for your business. Any other custom requirements can be discussed with our team, drop an e-mail to email@example.com to discuss more about our consulting services.