King & Colonel 2017
A new musical play exploring Elvis Presley’s meteoric rise to fame, and the fascinating relationship he had with his manager Colonel Parker.
It’s Now or Never
The Lowry Theatre in Manchester have offered us a week’s run in 2017 to launch our new play, but we do not have the funds to secure the booking, or pay the cast.
We need your help
One week’s run at The Lowry is crucial to our future – it’ll premiere the show to upwards of 3000 people, we’ll be able to shoot a DVD, and we’ll invite every producer we can get our hands on to secure further funding to bring KING & COLONEL to a theatre near you in the UK.
It’s been an incredible 2 year journey to get to this point. If you have a minute, it’s best explained in an interview I was lucky to give to the BBC during The Lowry work-in-progress shows back in November 2015.
Welcome to My World
Everything good in my life has come through Elvis
Hello, my name is Daniel Constantinou, and I wrote KING & COLONEL to give honour and respect back to the man who has given so much to so many.
Elvis Presley saved my life
I was born and raised in a strictly religious home, where any dealing with the outside world was forbidden. All I had was Elvis’ film music on an old cassette tape (definition for the kids – bits of ribbon that played music when your i-pod was just a twinkle in Steve Jobs’ eye). Elvis Presley was my liberator, best-friend and father-figure (what’s amazing, is how many people I’ve come across who say exactly the same thing about Elvis – he truly was a unique man).
If you don’t get Elvis, you’ll know someone who does
Either your Mum, Dad, Grandmother, Grandad, or mad old uncle Dave (everyone has an uncle Dave), went gooey and teary-eyed when Elvis came on the Wireless (again definition for the kids – a Wireless was something the size of your wardrobe, and picked up radio waves where some 1970s D.J, probaly now in prison, played records – records where pieces of plastic that…oh God, best Google it kids). This musical play explains why and how Elvis had that effect on the people you love.
KING & COLONEL charts how Elvis became the undisputed King of Rock ‘n’ Roll, focusing on the fascinating relationship he had with his manager, Colonel Thomas Parker. How was The Colonel able to manipulate Elvis the way he did? Why did Elvis always do what the Colonel said? All this and more is answered in the play.
The man and his music are at the centre to this piece
This musical play has everything – live authentic music, pathos, insights into Elvis’ life, and a finale that will have you dancing in the aisle.
I’m Counting On You
If you can donate and make this show happen, we have some Elvis themed goodies available to say a deep and heartfelt THANK YOU. They are limited and exclusive to this campaign, so please hurry – once they’re gone, they’re gone! We hope that something along the right hand side panel tickles your interest, and you feel compelled to join in the fun, and make KING & COLONEL happen.
Every single pound you donate gets us closer to turning this dream into a reality.
To build this show and do Elvis justice, we need £40,419.73. If we can raise £17,800 through crowdfunding, then the remainder will come through ticket sales.
Some of our expenses at a glance:
- Hire of The Lowry, Quays Theatre for one week
- 2 Weeks Rehearsal Space
- Hiring an excellent Director for 4 weeks
- Musical Director for 3 weeks
- Paying a Set Designer to design, then build a fabulous Set
- Hiring 22 Costumes fit for a King and his company
- Equity rates for 8 talented, presently out of work Actors and Musicians for 3 weeks
- Bread and water to throw at them periodically
- Public Liability Insurance in case somebody throws their back out swivelling their hips too passionately
- Marketing to get the word out there – bums on seats!
- Stage Manager to get everyone on stage on time – you know, like Scooter from the Muppets
- Producer to find Producers – go figure
- General Manager to look after the daily running of the show and pamper the actors – they’re a sensitive bunch darling!
- 2 Stage Hands for 6 shows
- Designing and printing of the programmes and flyers
I’m feeling lightheaded…
Then there is shooting the DVD:
- Hiring 4 High Quality Cameras
- 4 Film Crew and 1 Hairy Shouldered Tattooed Technician who answers to the name of, “The Wolf”
- Sound equipment
- A Crane (of the metal, not feathered variety)
- Hiring an editor to grow a beard, and spend days locked in his bedroom editing it all together.
If I Can Dream
Essentially this play is a work of art, that highlights why Elvis was great, and sadly how some exploited that greatness. With your help and generosity, KING & COLONEL will become a reality. For one week in 2017 The Lowry in Manchester will become all things Elvis. In the year that sees the 40th anniversary of his death we will give a big hoorah to The King, and have you dancing in the aisles to his music. Your donation to our Crowdfunding campaign will not only secure The Lowry shows in 2017, we hope it gets KING & COLONEL on the road to tour the UK.
Please get involved if you can, and join the KING & COLONEL family. We will never forget your kindness and belief in us. We will never do a show where you attend, without trying to make YOU feel special for having been there at the beginning.