A robot to make you fit, strong, and sexy.
About this project
Here’s what Bodbox does (all data, graphs, and most importantly recommendations go straight to your email inbox):
1. Tell you YOUR optimal workout (you first start with our intro workout)
2. Track your workout from afar via color tags (you can add 100s easily) – we’ll tell you what you need to tag
3. Optimize workouts based on data it collects (you’ll see the raw data, 3d graphs, and more)
4. Your optimal diet, updated in real time based on your workouts, ready to order to your door (shared via Google Calendar)
5. Motivation – music, pumpup tracks timed with your workout via Spotify.
Live explainer workout at Cal Berkeley gym – where all these ideas got started…
The bodbox (www.thebodbox.com) began as a simple hacked together way for Chuck and other pro and olympic athletes to get better. It’s raw and authentic even in it’s early form. We’re only making 50 of this first version. Manufactured by hand. When you buy a box, you join our family. You’ll be send raw data, team updates, and be directly involved in the design choices we make moving forward.
there is also more content and background at WWW.THEBODBOX.COM
HOW IT WORKS:
Order a bodbox and here’s what you get:
1. We’ll email you with a few questions about your fitness goals.
2. Once your bodbox arrives you’ll receive exact instructions about how to charge it the first time and the first medball workout you should do (with a medball or a weighted object wrapped in our tracking tape)
3. The bodbox will send us data wirelessly about your workout that we use to optimize the rest of your workout plan and diet.
4. We’ll be chatting directly with you and involving you in the process of our growth. You’ll see the raw data and exactly how we’re figuring out what is best for you to do with the workout time you have.
5. Our love. Welcome to the Bodbox fam.
Here’s what’s under the hood:
The way we’re building that right now is bare bones and simple – raspberry pi, preloaded SD cards sent to you physically when there’s a firmware update or a pro athlete ‘takeover’, some python, and of course the secret sauce we use to max out your time working out.
Runs on a usb phone battery pack (included) – will run for upwards of 8 hours straight before a charge is needed – if you worked out that long in one day Bod might just give you a day off to charge up again 😉
We are selling the Bod at as close to production cost as possible in order to help as many people as we can – we’ll eventually roll out a subscription service too, channeling workouts remotely from the top athletes and thought leaders in the world (Bodbox “takeovers’). But we could care less about the money…
Chuck’s only hope is to bring this fun technology and the vast amounts of athletic data behind it to everyone possible. This thing can train with a rock and a peice of tape – we believe that’s f-ing powerful and want to leverage that to have the largest impact we can.
What you get:
Check out the levels to the right – everything from magic lessons to an all gold hand delivered version of the bodbox (custom made by two dudes in speedos).
1. Open the first email Bod sends you when your Bodbox arrives.
2. Connect the USB battery pack to the mini computer inside Bod (make sure the battery pack is charged).
3. Set the wifi hotspot on your phone (Bod emails you three step instructions to set this up).
4. Do your workout.
You won’t recognize Santa when he comes down the chimney (the next 2mo.)
– kinect camera. this thing can apparently take vitals from afar via tracking changes in your skin color
– underwater applications
– finalizing automated backend and architecting collected data to allow the bod to grow in intelligence organically
– plenty of live stream workouts and additional exploration of api linking and hacking some hardware in general
Tshirt designs: (female and male designs s-xxl):
Coffee by robot:
Robots: Don’t worry we’ll send you full instructions for the medball workouts as well as troubleshooting, things for you to try with the bodbox and more. Welcome to our team. We’re limiting to 50 core robots for this first launch and we’ll be updating a map with their positions as they sell 🙂
Bodbox + tank treads
A graphic explainer in GTA art style:
Risks and challenges
– Make sure the data gets back to us from you in a useful manner without requiring too much interaction on a daily basis.
– Make sure you understand that our first consumer application is with a taped up weight or medball but that the applications for this system are pretty incredible.
– Figure out the correct way to waterproof so that you can take on your surfboard, around the pool, or in the bathtub. We’re pretty damn close though 🙂
1. Find the ideal camera.
2. Make sure the hardware is super durable.
3. Backend work to automate workout selection and optimization so we can scale to a larger audience.