Course that teaches you how to automate simple tasks in python like automatically generate reports, cleaning data, and merging files..
About this project
What it is:
An online course that will teach you everything that you need to know about coding in python to become more productive in your job, even if you have never coded before. The purpose of this course is to help you learn. So we’ll cover some really basic things like how do I get python on my computer, and where do I start writing the code. We’ll then move on to doing some more fun stuff like how to automate the generation of reports. How to do everything in excel, in python. Combining multiple source files into one master file. Scraping websites to gather information. And website automation, so that you can move around the web without having to click buttons yourself (you will be surprised at how useful this last one is).
What you will accomplish:
You will be accomplishing a number of things throughout this course.
- You will feel more computer literate
- You will learn how to structure your code
- You will learn how to code
- You will see some real life examples of common tasks that you can automate
- You will start to use python in your job at work
- You will generate reports automatically, with graphs and tables
- You will scrape a website for a price
- You will automate a login on a website and scrape the page behind login
- You will learn how to open any file in python and edit it
- You will learn how to combine multiple data sources into one master file.
Obviously, that is a lot to take in. But wouldn’t you feel pretty confident that you could crush your job, and improve your productivity if you could do all of these things. I know that my productivity shot through the roof when I learned to do these things.
Not only that but you will get rid of the more mundane manual labor parts of your job. Your job will become more interesting. You will feel a surge of creativity as you start thinking about how you can do things using code, rather than sitting behind a computer doing the same thing over and over again. You will become pumped up about your job. The world will start to look shiny and new. I know, I’ve been there.
What you get:
When you take the course you will get a couple of things that will help you in your journey.This is what you get in the course:
- Source Code for all projects
- Videos, featuring yours truly, explaining the how to do things (at least 2 hours)
- Quizzes to make sure that you are understanding the content
- Access to the community of Students in the course
- Bonus Video: How to do basic data analysis in python
Risks and challenges
Let’s be honest. This is a fairly low risk project. As soon as I reach my goal, I will begin development of this course. This of course presumes that a number of things continues into the future. For example, I expect that I will continue to exist, and that I will hit my deadlines.
The last one I see as my biggest risk, that my deadlines are not hit. That would be bad. But it wouldn’t be catastrophic. Because I will give access to the course as I am creating it. So that you will be able to see the progress that I am making. You can hold me accountable and be like, “Dude, Ryan, you haven’t added anything in the course in a week. I’m starting to get worried.”
The main issue is that I might be slowed down as I am learning new technologies to put a course out there.