Re-inventing window coverings for the tech-savvy generation.
AXIS develops window covering solutions that are practical and convenient in function and design. We target new and under-served markets in an industry that has lacked innovation over the years. AXIS has created a suite of products that are easy to install and use, for a generation that is tech-savvy but not necessarily handy.
AXIS Gear is a smart device that motorizes your window shades by attaching on the cord loop or chain of your window covering, and can be controlled using a smartphone or on the device itself. We’ve successfully raised over $120,000 via Indiegogo and are in Beta programs with business automation system companies (the smart home for commercial buildings), including Schneider Electric and Daintree Networks. You can visit our Indiegogo campaign for full details on form and function: http://igg.me/at/axis-gear
1) Externally Mounted – Gear is externally mounted compared to traditional motors that required installation inside the headrail of the window covering. This sets Gear apart from existing solutions on the market.
2) Easy Installation – Gear can be installed easily by mounting on the wall and controlling the beaded chain or cord loop, which means you won’t need to uninstall and reinstall your window coverings to retrofit it with the motor.
3) Works with All Shades – Gear is compatible with shades of all sizes and weights. Existing solutions complicate the process by offering various models to work with specific sizes and weights.
4) Internet of Things Ready – Gears houses either a ZigBee or Z-Wave chip to allow for communication with other Smart Devices in your home, such as the Nest Thermostat.
5) Energy Savings – Using propriety algorithms, Gear is able to reduce cooling loads and harvest daylight to minimize the need for artificial lighting in your home, leading to significant energy savings.
AXIS Duo is the first ever portable roller shade that extends like a telescope to fit multiple window sizes, and can be installed and uninstalled in seconds without screws, nails or tools. Duo has secured international letter of intents from distributors in Australia and Europe which have amounted to 23,000 units in commitments to date.
1) Installs in Seconds – Simply extend Duo to the size of your window and use your thumb to turn a dial – this will continually apply consistent against the window frame for a simple, safe and secure installation.
2) No Wall Damage –A protective endpad mesh on Duo protects your window frame from any wall damage as pressure is applied.
3) No Measuring Error – Because Duo extends like a telescope to adjust to all sizes, which removes measuring errors. Incorrect measurements is the #1 fear for consumers of window coverings.
4) Perfect for Renters – Duo is perfect for renters. Simply purchase it once, and bring it with you when you move.
5) Saves Shelf Space–Today, retailers carry multiple SKUs of shades, all in different sizes. Duo can eliminate an entire aisle of shades and replace it with a single shelf or display!
Times have changed and AXIS is capitalizing on industry and lifestyle trendsthat make the timing for our business perfect!
AXIS – The Generation Gap
Generation Shift: Tech Savvy vs. Handy. Our parents grew up in a different generation – a generation of power tools and “buy-and-build”, not mobile apps and wearable technology. Our generation is tech savvy but not necessarily very handy. If you give me a power drill, I won’t have the slightest idea what to do with it; but if you give it to my dad, he’ll be able to build you a doghouse.
Generation Shift: Convenience. The purpose of technology is to help society move forward, faster. Endless amounts of technology start-ups are popping up focused on providing a greater degree of convenience for consumers (i.e. online shopping, ordering a taxi, food delivery). The tech-savvy generation, and more specifically, Millennials, value their time and adopt products that provide a greater degree of convenience. The generation gap is obvious as we value time and convenience above all else. When it comes to DIY home products, this is no exception.
Ease of Adoption. A home automation survey conducted by Savant concluded that 69% of consumers are mostly concerned with ease of use when purchasing a new technology. Additionally, 78% of Americans are aware of smart home products yet only 12% reported owning one (NPD Group). It quickly becomes clear that there is a huge opportunity to market the ease of adoption of smart home products.
Too Expensive. Cost appears to be a huge driver to consumer demand on the motorization of window coverings. Blinds.com performed an experiment, dropping the price from $250 to $150 per motor. The quantity sold increased 10x from 75 units per month to 750 units per month with revenue increasing by 6x.
Renter Population. There are over 99 million renters in the US alone and home ownership is at a 19 year low. Of this 99 million, 10 million live in key US cities and 2.7 million are the growing Millennial generation. There exists a large opportunity to target this untapped market of renters with a convenient window covering solution. The typical Millennial doesn’t earn enough to buy a home – the large affordability gap (actual income vs minimum salary required to buy a home) is increasing in the largest metropolitans where Millennials live, including NYC, SF, LA, SJ, SD, MIA, Boston, Denver and Seattle.
New Constructions. Value of construction and private spending on home improvement is recovering since the 2008 crash and is expected to grow by double digits in 2016 (IBIS World). This will help drive more demand for new homes and apartments that will require window coverings.
AXIS Gear – Beta Program with Platform Partners: Schneider Electric, Daintree Networks, and Alarm.com.
AXIS Gear – Raised $120,000 USD on Indiegogo over a period of 6 weeks.
AXIS Gear – Final pre-production prototype complete.
AXIS Duo – Received Letter of Intent for 23,000 Units from Australian distributor, Gale Pacific.
AXIS Gear – Beta Program with Industry Partners: Budget Blinds, Pueblo Bonito, Markilux.
AXIS Gear – Two patents filed.
AXIS Duo – One patent filed.
AXIS – Accepted into the OCAD Imagination Catalyst incubator program for hardware start-ups.
AXIS Duo – Taiwanese Contract Manufacturer relationship finalized.
AXIS Gear – Canadian Contract Manufacturer relationship finalized.
AXIS – Raised $450,000 CAD (approx $320,000 USD) seed round.