Two forty page issues! A flooded world, trashed seas, and plastic clockwork!
About this project
The Chasing Arrows Issue #0 will be a double-sized 40 page full color comic printed locallyon recycled paper and wrapped & shipped in plant-based adhesive tape and recycled packaging. This Kickstarter is to help print Issue #0!
The Chasing Arrows Issue #1 is also available on this Kickstarter campaign! Issue #1 is also 40 full color pages! They will be signed copies of the first printing (1000).
Here’s an idea of what’s included in Issue #0…
- Prelude: Flotsam and Jetsam
- 3x Interludes with strange new characters
Here’s an idea of what’s to come in The Chasing Arrows series…
- Issue #2 will be Onas’s pilot issue (also 40 pages)
- Issue #3 will focus on both Onas and Inara and we will see a lot more character interaction on the atoll.
- More on the magic system
- Eco-friendly shirts!
To give you a quick idea of what The Chasing Arrows is think Waterworld meets Wall-E meets a Brandon Sanderson novel.
The Chasing Arrows story explores a future where earth has flooded and floating garbage patches, known as middens, cover the seas. The story will follow two main characters, Inara and Onas.
Both Inara and Onas are Chasing Arrows, people who scavenge the middens and lead lives of thrift. To be a Chasing Arrow is to follow the Old Codes and The Way of the Arrow. To be a Chasing Arrow is to find use for the useless, to readdress the value of things, and to indeed find trash to be treasure.
Inara and Onas are orphans who live on Kaisei Atoll, a floating island of scrap located in the Trash Belt Doldrums. Onas spends his days diving for scrap on the middens while Inara works as an engineer in the Underbelly of the atoll.
I started writing The Chasing Arrows in prose. As I was writing it I realized I was spending huge amounts of time world building and writing long winded descriptions (two things that can get a novel writer in trouble). I wanted the story to have really cool magic system too. What I came up with was a system based on color. With all this in mind I realized a graphic novel would work great for this story and give me an excuse to do all the really fun novelty things behind making a story world (writing these long descriptions now as a script for my illustrator, making maps, drawing character sheets, seeing my characters come to life on the page, actually seeing the color of the magic system, and just in general being able to address the novelty book aspect with the story).
We’re on the ‘second’ issue now and I’m so excited to keep them coming for you guys and gals. Your support makes this story happen!
I also think the health of our planet is important! As should we all! My characters fight for this, as I do, and as all the real Chasing Arrows of this world do!
The Chasing Arrows is a long-form, character driven story. The first story arc will most likely be 8 issues.
- The Trash Belt: Made up of floating islands of trash known as middens. The middens circle the Tear in never ending drift. The Trash Belt is modeled after real life trash gyres.
- The Tear: Asteroid-like landmass jutting from the sea. The Tear flooded the world long ago (this time was known as The Weeping). The Tear is about twice the size of Mount Everest to give an idea of scale. The Tear is at the center of the Inner Circle. The Inner Circle is the densest area of the Trash Belt. Earthquake-like atmosphere (midden-mass constantly shifting). Electrical storms. Serpents. Untraveled by humans.
- The Himalayan Islands: Some of the last remaining area of dry land. Also known as the Mainland or Roof of the World. The Crescent Empire and rich noble houses reside here.
- Kaisei Atoll: Floating island made up of scrap and old boats from the Time Before. Located in the Trash Belt Doldrums. Inara and Onas live here. The Underbelly is the underwater area of the atoll.
- The Kelp Islands: Islands consisting entirely of mutated kelp. Ever shifting tides here. Rumored to be slave islands controlled by the Crescent Empire.
- The Coral City: Mutated Great Barrier Reef. Now jutting five hundred feet above sea surface. Inhabited by humans?
New Postcards will be new art with the three new model sheets on the backs.
Nathan Anderson – Poster and Logo
Joe Nash – Cover
Emiliano H. Cordoba – Concept
Karl Fitzgerald – Concept
John Miller – Video
Moko R. – Logo
Jillian Menees – Voice
Stretch Goals will be added as the campaign progresses.
Add-Ons allow you to add additional rewards to your pledge. You can only do Add-Ons if you pledged a physical reward tier. Follow the steps below to add rewards to your pledge:
Step 1: Press the ‘Manage Your Pledge’ Button. If you have not pledged yet, it will say ‘Back this Project’.
Step 2: Increase your pledge amount ($) in the ‘Pledge Amount’ box by the total amount of the items you want to add.
Step 3: After this Kickstarter campaign ends I will send out a survey that will ask you questions so that you can clarify your choices.
-Old Postcard Set (3 Postcards front and back) – $5
-New Postcard Set (3 Postcards front and back) – $5
-Old Sticker Set (3 Stickers) – $5
-New Sticker Set (3 Stickers) – $5
-Mini-Poster (“In Salvage Our Salvation”) – $5
Keep watching for new Add-Ons to pop up! Some of the Stretch Goals will most likely be new Add-Ons!
Note: You can visit the Facebook page (find the recent post) to read the script of promo video.
Risks and challenges
This is my second Kickstarter! Woohoo! The last one went really well and I sent backers their rewards two months after the end date. I think that’s pretty good. I’ve spent a good amount of time learning how to run a successful campaign and have really come to love it. Having creative control is awesome on so many levels, but it also means I have to do pretty much everything. Learning how to be good at all of it is definitely interesting and time consuming.
This project is very important to me and I am really excited about it! I believe art can change the world, because surely so many forms of it already have in so many ways. I can’t wait to share this story with all of you! I’ll keep pumping out issues!
This story is dedicated to the real Chasing Arrows of this world!
Thank you so much for your support!