Sitka book by Sharon Overton
Help the Sitka Center tell the world its remarkable history in this beautiful book
The Sitka Center for Art and Ecology needs your help in order to publish As Natural as the World Will Allow, Sharon Overton’s moving history of the founding and development of one of Oregon’s most remarkable art centers and residency programs.
The Sitka Center was founded in 1970 on the coast of Oregon. Ever since that time artists and students of nature have traveled from near and far to participate in our remarkable workshops and our world class artist-in-residence programs in the stunning natural setting of Oregon’s Cascade Head Scenic Research Area.
Your support will help Sitka tell the story of its founding to the world, spreading the word about our amazing center and the incredible group of people who made it what it is today. The book will contribute to an understanding of Oregon’s history and will include informative historical photographs as well as reproductions of beautiful artwork created by the many artists associated with Sitka over the years.
What We Need & What You Get
Sitka wishes to produce a book that is truly evocative of the beauty and history of this place and the artwork that has been created here over the years. This requires hiring a designer, a copy editor, and a quality printing press. We have budgeted $5,500 for 50 hours of design time. 750 four color copies of the book will cost $3,000 to print. The remaining $1,500 in our request will cover copy editing and incidental costs associated with both publication and the campaign.
Supporters of the campaign will be rewarded with amazing perks that embody the joy and spirit of a visit to Sitka. Perks include:
- A postcard reproduction of an original Frank Boyden print
- Your own copy of the published Sitka book
- Your own copy of the book, signed by the author and Sitka’s founders
- An invitation for 2 to attend a book-launch party, at Sitka or in Portland
- A full-sized limited edition Frank Boyden print
- An invitation for 10 people to stay for a weekend on Sitka’s campus and a gourmet catered dinner at Sitka with Sharon Overton and the Boydens
The story of Sitka is a unique and important piece in the puzzle of Oregon’s history and culture. By helping Sitka to publish Sharon Overton’s book your contribution will ensure that people across Oregon and around the world learn about this unique organization and the impact it has had on countless lives.
Sitka has a history of making projects like this a success, so you can trust that your funds will go to a good cause and that you will receive your perks in a timely fashion.
Other Ways You Can Help
Whether or not you can contribute to the campaign, you can help it be a success in other ways:
- Please spread the word about this campaign to your friends, family, and those who care about Oregon’s history and the arts
- Please share this campaign far and wide on social media and tell others why you think the publication of this book matters!