More Than Sport – Support Team Ireland at Rio 2016
Our ‘More Than Sport’ crowdfunding campaign aims to raise €25,000 to support Ireland’s elite Paralympic athletes as they prepare for the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games this September.
After the heights of London 2012, 46 athletes across 10 sports will compete against the world once more – striving for personal best performances and to climb the podium.
Supporting the 2016 Irish Paralympic Team
State funding provided €1.28 million for Paralympics Ireland this year but the cost of leading Team Ireland to Rio 2016 is enormous. We’re asking the public to help us on our way to raising an additional €500,000 overall in 2016 so we can fully support Irish Paralympic athletes on their quest for success.
The proceeds from this crowdfunding campaign and other events will go towards final team preparations: from athlete coaching to travel costs; sports-science/medical support to competitive kit. All support will help our athletes deliver their absolute best in competition.
Ireland’s Paralympic athletes are more than elite athletes with a disability. They are extraordinary sportspeople and ambassadors who deserve the nation’s support.
Athletes representing Ireland at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Athletics: Jason Smyth, Michael McKillop, Deirdre Mongan, Orla Barry, Noelle Lenihan, Niamh McCarthy, Orla Comerford, Paul Keogan, Patrick Monahan, Greta Streimikyte.
- Canoeing: Pat O’Leary
- Cycling: Eoghan Clifford, Katie-George Dunlevy with pilot Eve McCrystal, Colin Lynch, Ciara Staunton, Declan Slevin, Damien Vereker with pilot Sean Hahessy
- Equestrian: Helen Kearney
- Football: Luke Evans, Tomiwa Badun, Cormac Birt, Joseph Markey, Brian McGillivary, Carl McKee, Gary Messett, Ryan Nolan, Eric O’Flaherty, Dillon Sheridan, Aaron Tier, Conor Tuite, Jordan Walker, Ryan Walker
- Sailing: John Twomey, Austin O’Carroll, Ian Costelloe
- Shooting: Sean Baldwin, Phillip Eaglesham
- Swimming: Ellen Keane, Ailbhe Kelly, James Scully, Nicole Turner
- Table Tennis: Rena McCarron Rooney
- Triathlon: Catherine Walsh with pilot Fran Meehan
For all the team news and behind the scenes info, please follow us atwww.paralympics.ie, on social or download the Paralympics Ireland app for free from Google Play or Apple Store.
For details of campaign rewards, please see the Project FAQ’s.
‘Dreaming of Rio’ print (artist: Luke Brennan):