NY Lap 4 Life – Supporting Australia
From NY Lap 4 Life
To raise money and awareness for children suffering from child abuse in Australia and the US
Christopher St Pier, New York NY, New York NY 10014
Date & Time
Saturday, September 17 2016
What are we doing?
On Saturday 17 September 2016, our team will be walking a lap of Manhattan to help raise funds and awareness for the Australian Childhood Foundation. The walk is 55 kilometres, and will take us an estimated 11 hours. We plan a day of fun as we walk all parts of this great city, raising money and awareness for children suffering from abuse, while strengthening ties between New York and Australia. We challenge ourselves for one day to help those who are challenged every day.
Some facts about child abuse in Australia:
- Every night in Australia 40,000 children sleep away from home because of fears for their safety.
- Abuse costs the community up to $30 billion dollars annually.
- In 2012, there were 252,962 reports of child abuse and neglect received across Australia. That’s 693 new reports every day, or one every two minutes.
- 32% of children involved with the Foundation have physically hurt themselves because of trauma they have experienced.
- 68% of abused children referred to the Foundation are at least two years behind academically.
- More than 80% of women in Australian prisons have been victims of sexual and other types of abuse in childhood.
The Australian Childhood Foundation
The Foundation was formed in 1986 with its primary aim to advocate on behalf of children who have suffered abuse and neglect. The Foundation works to prevent child abuse and reduce the harm it causes to children, families and the community. The Foundation provides specialist trauma counselling and therapeutic care to child victims of abuse, as well as running research, education and community awareness programs.
The Foundation’s Impact:
- Counselled more than 5000 children to deal with trauma from abuse. 94% of these children experience significant reduction in trauma symptoms within their first twelve months with the Foundation.
- At any one time there are 1500 children, young people, their carers and families receiving specialised trauma support from the Foundation.
- Helped more than 10,000 foster carers to support traumatised children and 86% do not experience breakdowns in foster care placements after coming to the Foundation.
- Reached out and supported more than 200,000 parents in the past 2 years.
- 92% of schools report feeling more confident responding to traumatised children as a result of their involvement with the Foundation.
- Trained more than 30,000 health, legal, welfare and education professionals. As a result, 300,000 abused children have been better protected and supported.
- 88% of foster carers report feeling less stressed and more confident in knowing how to support and look after the children in their care after their involvement with the Foundation.
- 77% of children catch up to their age-appropriate academic level as a result of their involvement with the Foundation
The 2016 NY Lap 4 Life will be supporting the Foundation to help ensure all children are safe from the trauma of abuse, violence and neglect.