Obsessed – Making Irish Olympic History
Irish Men’s Hockey Team
History has been made! On October 25th, 2015 the Irish Men’s Hockey Team, or the Green Machine as they’re known, became the first Irish hockey team in history to qualify for the Olympic Games.
In doing so, they also became the first Irish sports team to qualify for an Olympic Games since London 1948.
In August 2015, they made more Irish hockey history by defeating Great Britain to win a European bronze medal for the first time ever! They now sit at an all-time high world hockey ranking of 12th, with a top 10 place within touching distance.
Determination, sacrifice, desire and obsession have been at the heart of the Green Machine’s journey to the Rio 2016 Olympics.
Skill and talent are built up over years of hard work, but what separates a great hockey player from an International hockey player? Obsession!
It’s that unwavering idea or desire that is the dominating focus for the Green Machine. The definition of obsessed is the domination of one’s thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea or desire; this is embodied in every member of the Green Machine
Hockey Ireland has launched this hockey crowdfunding campaign under the banner ‘Obsessed,’ with the aim of driving awareness of the team’s Olympic quest and the funding needed to fulfill that.
The ‘Obsessed’ campaign is focused on raising vital funds for the Irish Men’s hockey team to supplement government funding. There is a current shortfall of €225,000 to complete the Green Machines’ programme and preparation for the Rio Olympics. This campaign is your opportunity to support the Green Machine as the first team sport to represent Ireland at an Olympics in over 60 years!
Please help support the Green Machine with their Olympic journey!
Buy official Obsessed clothing here
Hockey Ireland Website: http://www.hockey.ie
The Official Olympic Squad are:
· Jonny Bell, Lisnagarvey, Defender
· Chris Cargo, Racing, Midfield
· Peter Caruth, Annadale, Forward
· Mitch Darling, Rotterdam, Forward
· Paul Gleghorne, Lisnagarvey, Defender
· Kyle Good, Monkstown, Forward
· Ronan Gormley, Krefeld, Defender
· David Harte (Captain), Kampong, Goalkeeper
· Conor Harte, Racing, Defender
· John Jackson, Reading, Defender
· John Jermyn, Cork C of I, Midfield
· Eugene Magee, Banbridge, Midfield
· Shane O’Donoghue, Dragons, Midfield
· Alan Sothern, Pembroke, Forward
· Kirk Shimmins, Pembroke, Midfield
· Michael Watt, Lisnagarvey, Forward
Travelling Reserves are:
· Tim Cockram, Lisnagarvey, Forward
· Michael Robson, Annadale, Midfield
· David Fitzgerald, Monkstown, Goalkeeper