MISSION MI MA BÔ
We are a group of volunteers from the Program D. Bosco Projeto Vida | Fundação Salesianos that is preparing to go on a mission, to the communities of Santiago Island, in Cape Verde.
The Program D. Bosco Projeto Vida is a department from Fundação Salesianos which coordinates and sends volunteers on mission to Cape Verde, East Timor, Angola and Mozambique, with the purpose of the dynamism of several activities in the cultural, social, recreational and religious areas for the populations in contexts of greatest need.
Based on these designs, the Mission Mi Ma Bô (Creole “you and me”) was created, having as the main objective to continue the work of past missions in the city of Praia, Cape Verde: Mission 1841 (2013),Mission Morabeza (2014) and Mission Sonhar (2015). This initiative will take place in 2016 between July 31 and August 19, on the island of Santiago.
Children and young people with whom we’re going to be next August are natural from Cape Verde and freely and voluntarily will join us, this will be one of the most enriching experiences of our lives and for the lives of this children and young people. Those are going to be days and weeks of intense sharing and delivery. On average the missions from The Program D. Bosco Projeto Vida interact with more than 200 children a day.
Every day the mission plans to implement a variety of cultural and recreational initiatives, allowing children and young people to participate in educational activities, games and moments of reflection.
- Prevent young people of engaging in risky activities;
- From the planned activities, form the youngsters in need of rules, habits, discipline and responsibility;
- Provide opportunities for moments of fellowship, expansion and joy;
- Encourage the taste for educational and cultural activities;
- Promote playful moments to the general public;
- Offer to all the youngsters the possibility of sharing experiences of faith, animation and training;
- Promote the fellowship and friendship;
- Promote cultural exchange between all and to feel part of the society.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
We are a group of 11 young volunteers, aged between 18 and 29 years, which constitute the Mission Mi Ma Bô. This Program is sponsored by Program D. Bosco Projeto Vida| Fundação Salesianos. This group consists of:
– Carla Pereira, Socio-Cultural Animator, who works in a kindergarten and does volunteering on a foster home for young people, natural from the City of Marinha Grande;
– Ana Nóbrega, a Social Worker who works with children and young people at risk, and Nuno Gouveia, a Medical Student, both natural from Madeira Island;
-Nelson Alves, an Electrical Engineer, natural from the City of Póvoa de Varzim;
– Rita Marques, a Nursing Student, and Raquel Marques, a Medical Student, both natural from the City of Setúbal;
– Inés Neves, a Graduate Student in Accounting and Finance, and Ana Filipa, a Nursing Student, both natural from the City of Évora;
– Francisca Empis, Master’s Student in Hospital Management, Margarida Mascarenhas, a Medical Student, and Vanessa Santos, a Designer, all natural from the City of Lisbon.
BUDGET AND DUE DATES
In order that our Mission may fulfill its goals with children and youngsters in need from Cape Verde, we incur in costs related to the project, namely for travelling (8,360 €), materials (pens, paper, balls, etc.) to use with 200 children daily and any additional costs on the transport of these same materials (600 €). That’s why we ask for financial support, so that all the social intervention may be accomplished with the greatest success. Since the Project arrives in Cape Verde on July 31st, we hope to have the largest share of support obtained until July 22nd.
There is also the cost of 123 € of commission of 5% of PPL + VAT.