Well Street Market
Well Street Market will be an innovative model of a community market, locals will access healthy, affordable, good quality food along with a Teenage Market, Student Makers Market and live music stage.
Well Street Market will be more than a market. It is an ambitious, exciting and bold project. We have a wonderfully diverse community who we encourage and support. We’ll nurture young entrepreneurial talent by having a Teenage Market, give free economic and business training to local creatives by having a Student Makers market offering amazing design pieces unobtainable elsewhere. Integral to our market will be a live music stage where locals can book performance slots. We’ll have a music mentoring program encouraging new routes into work. We are developing a community bee project and want to buy beehives and bee pollinators to make Well Street honey. We want a wireless network enabling cash free trading. We need money for the infrastructure costs to pay for our ambitious plans. We need to buy stalls, live music stage, wireless networks, bee hives , hanging baskets, Christmas lights. We need the crowd to pay for the training and staff that will help us enable to develop local talent.
What we’ll deliver:
- Pay for a Teenage Market to nurture young entrepreneurial talent
- Pay for a student Maker’s Market and provide free training to encourage local creatives
- Buy a live music stage and equipment and develop a music mentoring programme
- Buy beehives, develop our community bee project and make Well Street honey to sell
- Pay for hanging baskets to be planted with bee friendly plants to create a bee corridor on the street
- Be a produce driven market that enables our community to access affordable healthy eating
- Pay for a wireless network, access new technologies to enable cashless trading
- Buy Christmas lights and make Well Street a place of which the community feels proud
- Create a link to the Fashion Hub, have cutting edge fashion, be the place to buy fabric and trimmings
- Engage the community and have reglar events on the street to ensure collective thinking
Why it’s a great idea:
Well Street will be more than a market, transforming it back to a bustling hive of activity, by regenerating the area, making it a ‘go to’ destination. We want our street to be filled with amazing produce, a space that unites the community, we want hanging baskets filled with flowers, Christmas lights, it to be a street to be proud of.
This whole vision is instigated by the Well Street Traders and Residents Association we’re committed to improving the life of our local neighbourhood. It’s a wonderfully diverse community that we want to support and encourage. Our plan for an innovative community market will strengthen the character of Well Street. Together we want to celebrate all the energies of our community and make it an exciting place to be again, bringing economic growth economic and social benefit to the area. We will create pathways into work, support local makers and producers and be an exciting new place for the community to come together and connect and build civic pride.
Steps to get it done:
- Host a series of creative events to further engage our community in the conversation
- Seek capital funding to realise the project by investing in the infrastructure
- Seek sponsorship from business and empower our local community by asking them to help fund and be part of the project
- Purchase stalls and furniture necessary for the market’s infrastructure
- Pay for the licence to have a Teenage Market so we can commit to nururing local youth
- Buy a live music stage and equipment
- Pay for professionals to develop our music mentoring programme
- Pay for the training and mentoring for the start up costs of a Student Maker’s Market
- Buy bee hives for specially selected sites on Well Street Market
- Purchase hanging baskets for the street and fill them will bee friendly flowers
Since developing our vision of Well Street Market we’ve had an overwhelmingly positive response, with busy meetings and community workshops. We are supported by Hackney Council, and Regeneration Hackney and fit neatly with the council’s new ‘Markets strategy’
Well Street Market will be more than a market. It will be an innovative project that has our community at it’s heart. We want to support and nurture our neighbourhood. Developed by the residents and traders it is key that business work together to make Well Street a destination. Our aim is for activities and events that happen on Well street Market are broad, varied and exciting, and will clearly benefit our community. The market is a weekly opportunity for the community to gather in their shared public space. This will be a market that puts the offer of healthy food at a central theme. We want the market to work collectively, be innovative and continually in conversation with our community. We ask the community to support us.