Open Iftar 2016
A project by: Ramadan Tent Project
Uniting communities through the simple act of sharing a meal
WHO ARE WE?
The Ramadan Tent Project is an award-winning initiative founded by SOAS students, which aims to participate in social change by creating bridges between individuals, bringing together communities, and fostering interfaith dialogue through our flagship project, Open Iftar.
First launched in 2013 under the Ramadan Tent Project banner, Open Iftar invites the homeless and the public at large, Muslims and non-Muslims, to break fast together at dusk during the holy month of Ramadan.
WHAT IS OPEN IFTAR?
Thanks to generous donations, we have been running Open Iftar every year since 2013. Creating a Ramadan atmosphere in the heart of London, the Open Iftar allows us to unite different communities through the simple act of a sharing a meal. We strongly believe in promoting interfaith dialogue, connecting neighbours and undertaking charitable endeavours.
We welcome all communities, celebrate diversity of cultures and provide a platform for discussion, by inviting distinguished guests to speak at the Open Iftar tent.
“A fresh, inspiring, noble and much-needed project” – Mehdi Hasan, Al-Jazeera Presenter/Journalist
Help us make Open Iftar 2016 happen!
It is only through donations that we have been able to run Open Iftar. Since 2013 we have served over 20,000 meals to people from all walks of life at the tent.
The success of the project has inspired Open Iftar tents in Manchester (UK), Plymouth (UK), Istanbul (Turkey), Ndola (Zambia), Toronto (Canada), Portland (USA) and with your help we hope to make Open Iftar 2016 in London a success.
Where will the money go?
– Food costs (water, dates, food parcels, fruit)
– Fuel cost for food deliveries to homeless shelters
– The costs of the tent
– Lighting and sound system
– Banners, leaflets and other informative materials
– Tent supplies (cutlery, paper plates, napkins) and logistical costs (such as insurance)
– A portion of the money raised above the minimum needed will support Open Iftar’s in our host cities
– Towards a continuation of our work to foster interfaith dialogue and build community cohesion
– If we hit our full target, funding will be used to support the process in hosting Open Iftar 2017
We have a range of rewards available for those who donate to the project but we understand that some people may want to support the project in other ways. Please share this page with your friends, family & networks and join us at one of our locations for Open Iftar in 2016 to discover the community spirit.