Chatsworth Road Community Festival
Chatsworth Road Festival is an annual street party in Clapton that brings together the many communities of the neighbourhood’s historic high street for a day of music, dance, activities, food and fun
The CRF was founded in 2013 by a lifelong Clapton resident, who fondly remembered Hackney Marsh Fun Festival (a free community festival founded in 1979) as a real highlight of the year for the neighbourhood. Each year CRF has grown in ambition & participation, last year attracting over 10,000 people. The festival has become a much loved last party of the summer, a highlight of the summer holidays for families and a great opportunity to meet the neighbours and celebrate the community. Every year more people come forward with ideas to grow the event and ensure it caters to all tastes. This year will be the best yet with plans to involve more venues and we hope to cater for upwards of 15,000 people. Some highlights of the festival include food and drink from the area’s market traders & food producers, live music and sound systems showcasing local venues & artists, the annual Dog Show, face painting, kids entertainers, a climbing wall, workshops & inflatable fun for kids of all ages.
What we’ll deliver:
- Organise a Festival that provides a fun, safe and welcoming environment for all residents.
- Engage the local community in the organisation and participation of the event
- We will work with Hackney Council to close the road for the duration of the festival
- We will purchase a stage cover for the main stage area to ensure we can go on come rain or shine
- We will have an amazing lineup of local musicians, DJs, and performers throughout the day
- We will put on creative activities and workshops
- We will have a whole host of childrens activities
- We will have a massive climbing wall for all to enjoy
- All activities and entertainment on the day will remain free
Why it’s a great idea:
The best way to ensure this is a festival for everyone is by keeping it completely free to attend, then there are no financial barriers to participating. Attendance is completely free, as are all activities, whether it be sumo suit wrestling for teens, music workshops, or the dog show. Up to this point the festival has relied on the sponsorship of local small businesses to meet the costs of staging the event, with Hackney Council generously supporting with the costs of the road closure. This year, feeling the burden of local government cuts the council are unable to meet this commitment. This leaves the voluntary organisers looking for funds to make the festival happen. Add to this the enthusiasm and opportunity to make the festival bigger and better than previous years, and they find themselves looking for more. This spacehive project aims to harness the goodwill that already exists for the event and hopes to allow the organisers to make this years festival the best yet!
Steps to get it done:
- Deliver a full day of free entertainment and activities for all the community
- Send invites out to every address in the neighbourhood making everyone aware of the the day’s programme
It will unite different communities in one celebration. 15,000 people will enjoy a free community festival. Expose more people to the amazing activities and initiatives going on in our neighbourhood all year round.