About LES Shakespeare Company
LES Shakespeare is a young socially conscience ethnically diverse theatre company. We are committed to reaching out to the Lower East Side/East Village community and promoting accessibility to all while focusing on classical works using innovative ideas; and collaborating within an ensemble.
Our Company Aims To:
- Inspire people and provide entertainment
- We believe in the value and necessity of working collaboratively
- Pique audience members’ curiosity and expand their appreciation for classical texts
Our second season includes the Greek Classic, Antigone by Sophocles. For this project we have joined with Planet Connections Festival which focuses on producing work that is green and donating a portion of our ticket sales to the charity of our choice. We have chosen to support the Lower East Side Girl’s Club.
Antigone pits her beliefs against those of her uncle, the king, in a bloody test of wills that leaves few unharmed. She challenges his decree that her traitorous brother should go unburied thereby condemning his soul to eternal unrest. Antigone attacks issues of law and ethics. In your darkest moment, would you act with your heart or your mind?
Antigone is about a strong, young female standing up for what she believes in. We think it is important to tie our work in the arts to our community. The Girl’s Club will have access to a workshop with a few of our artists and the opportunity to see the show. Not only is this a way to mentor girls 8-21 years old but this particular production team is female heavy with the Director, Set/LX Designer, Production Manager and half the cast being female.
Who We Are:
- Adriana Bohmier – Antigone
- Alexander Koo – Photographer and Co-Founder
- Ariel Lauryn – Ensemble Coach
- Chantelle Goulevitch – Ismene/Chorus and Co-Producer
- Emily Shankman – Eurydice/Chorus
- Jae Woo – Tiresisas/Chorus
- Kevin MacKenzie – Sentry/Chorus
- Mae Frankeberger – Production Manager and Production Stage Manager
- Melody Erfani – Director, Artistic Director, Co-Founder and Co- Producer
- Mike Maloney – Creon
- Nick Neagle – Choreographer
- Patrick Falcon – Haemon/Chorus
- Yokko – Messenger/Chorus
- Zack Betty – Chorus
What We Need to Make it Happen:
We are raising a Indiegogo minimum of $2,500 to go towards the total $5,000 needed in order to pay for the following.
- Performance Space
- Rehearsal Space, when not otherwise donated
- Minimal set design elements
- Modest Travel Stipends for our Cast, Band, Music Director, Stage Manger, Designers and Director