bio-bean is getting the world #poweredbycoffee
We recycle the waste coffee grounds from your morning cup of coffee into local, sustainable biofuels for your home, your city and now, our new product – Coffee Logs – allows you to heat your stove in winter and your BBQ this summer.
bio-bean is an award-winning, UK-based, clean technology company, the first in the world to industrialise the process of recycling waste coffee grounds into advanced biofuels, displacing conventional fuels and chemicals in the process.
A few years ago, architecture student, Arthur Kay, was designing a coffee shop, when he came up with a crazy idea – what if coffee waste could be used to power our cities, buildings and even our cars? Where others saw waste, he saw an opportunity and set about turning this vision into a reality. Arthur founded bio-bean, which now owns and operates the world’s first coffee waste recycling factory with capacity to process 50,000 tonnes of waste coffee grounds a year (this accounts for one in ten cups of coffee drunk in the UK!). The bio-bean team is made up of 25 passionate biochemical engineers, mad scientists and eco-warriors and is in partnership with pioneering R&D, green energy and waste management companies.
We have already recycled the waste from millions of cups of coffee and, this summer, through #VOOM, we are giving you the exclusive opportunity to power your BBQ, your pizza oven or your stove with Coffee Logs, helping us on our journey to get our cities #poweredbycoffee!
How Do We Do It?
We know this all sounds a bit wacky, so we want to tell you how we do it:
- bio-bean collects waste coffee grounds from instant coffee factories, coffee shops, office blocks and transport hubs all over the UK.
- At our factory in Cambridgeshire, the waste coffee grounds go through a variety of complex processes to turn them into useful and highly calorific advanced biofuels.
- We supply these biofuels back to producers of the waste coffee grounds, creating a truly circular economy. Our Coffee Logs, however, are designed for you to use in your stove or BBQ, our first product for the general public.
What Are Coffee Logs?
Every year we burn millions of tonnes of imported, expensive and dirty wood and coal.
We thought there has to be a better solution and so, in response to this, we have developed a new product – Coffee Logs – biomass briquettes made from waste coffee grounds. They are a clean, cheap, local, sustainable (and fun!) alternative to dirty imported fuels. They are the perfect fuel for heating your home in winter or your BBQ this summer. This campaign gives you the exclusive, first chance to be part of this innovative product launch.
Designed, developed and manufactured by bio-bean in the UK, our patent-pending Coffee Logscan be used in a wide range of different appliances such as wood burning stoves, chimeneas, BBQs, pizza ovens, smokers or just on an open fire. When compared to conventional woody fuels, Coffee Logs:
- burn (much) hotter and burn for longer;
- ignite faster and more easily;
- are 100% carbon neutral;
- are more cost-effective; and
- are manufactured by bio-bean in the UK from locally sourced waste coffee grounds.
Launching and distributing Coffee Logs at scale is expensive and we need your help to do this. Examples of a few costs we need to cover include expanding the existing factory, hiring a few more clever engineers, packaging, transport and finally delivery to you, our customers.
In return for your contribution, you can get some amazing rewards such as:
- A bio-bean e-booklet of coffee-inspired recipes by acclaimed chefs.
- A #poweredbycoffee mug.
- Up to 500 packs of Coffee Logs (details to follow).
- Up to 10 tickets to bio-bean’s exclusive Product Launch party (Date and Venue TBC).
- 2 tickets for a coffee-inspired three-course dinner in London, with a special pairing of fine food and coffee by acclaimed chefs and baristas (Date and Venue TBC).
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the bio-bean factory in Cambridgeshire with founder and CEO, Arthur Kay (Date TBC; Venue: the bio-bean Factory).
- Up to 10 VIP tickets to the MaketheFuture Eco Marathon (Date: 30th June – 3rd July, 2016; Venue: Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London).
- 2 tickets to Formula E (Date: 2nd or 3rd July, 2016; Venue: Battersea Park. N.B. limited ticket numbers).
- 2 tickets to WIRED 2016 (Date: 3rd or 4th November, 2016; Venue: Tobacco Dock. N.B. limited ticket numbers).
- Acknowledgement on bio-bean’s website and social media as an official partner.
We have been lucky enough to receive support and awards from organisations such as:
We have recently been featured in:
Some great people have even been nice enough to publically express their support for bio-bean include:
- Sir Richard Branson: “A superb business idea!”
- Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall: “A sustainable approach to a major food waste issue”
- Kevin McCloud: “My Green Hero! Power your home with coffee-fuel from bio-bean”
- Boris Johnson: “We are 100% behind bio-bean which is absolutely full of beans”
- Dame Ellen MacArthur: “Exactly the kind of business the Circular Economy needs”
We’re on social media: Join the conversation by using the hashtag #poweredbycoffee, and connect with bio-bean on:
For more information:
Thank you for your support!