The once loved Peckham Lido has been buried underground for almost 30 years. We now want to bring it back, better than ever, for the whole community to enjoy.
Buried beneath the grass, in an underused corner of Peckham Rye Common, lies the old Peckham Lido. Once a well loved 50 metre outdoor swimming pool, it served the swimmers and sun-bathers of South East London for over 50 years. But by 1987 it had fallen into disrepair and it was closed and filled in. Now all that remains visible of the once great Peckham Lido is a crumbling blue fountain. We think it’s time to bring the lido back again. And we’re not alone. Up and down the country, from Saltdean to Tarlair, many of Britain’s lidos are coming back to life. We think South East London should be part of this great movement to bring outdoor swimming and sunbathing back. So, we’d like to rebuild the Peckham Lido on the same site as the original, using the existing mature trees to frame the new buildings. But we’re not just creating a replica. We want to make it better than ever! The following facilities will make it a fantastic hub for the whole of the Peckham Community!
What we’ll do:
- A 50 meter heated Olympic standard pool
- Outdoor cinema with amphitheatre seating
- Roof-top sunbathing areas
- Yoga/dance studio
- Function room for hire
- Wild-swimming – phase two will bring a separate natural pool, tapping into the buried River Peck that flows beneath
Why it’s a great idea:
It brings a Olympic-sized pool for local schools, swimming clubs & the local community. If the next Michael Phelps or Rebecca Adlington lives in Peckham, we would never know, without a facility like this. It’s a healthy recreational facility for Peckham’s diverse community, serving all ages and cultures. It ‘s in tune with the fantastic energy in Peckham right now. Bringing biodiversity, health and wellbeing to the heart of our community. It breathes new life into changing area of London, creating at least 40 full and part time jobs that would suit a range of skill sets and qualifications – including life guards, personal trainers, yoga teachers, admin staff, managers, chefs & waiters. It brings more people into the area and boosts the local economy. Local shops, suppliers, restaurants and bars in Peckham, Nunhead and East Dulwich will benefit from the greater footfall and investment. Architects Studio Octopi and The Peckham Lido Campaign , will bring the vision to life!
- Progress with our architects Studio Octopi to produce: drawings, updated visuals, and technical documentation
- Commission landscape architects to prepare landscape concept design
- Commission quantity surveyors to prepare a construction cost estimate
- Hold a consultation to take on board ideas from locals, which we’ll feed into the architect’s design
- Commission our planning consultants to formally submit for Pre-Application Planning Advice to Southwark Council
- Produce a business plan, commercial strategy and fundraising tools to raise the £5.5 million construction cost
- Create a marketing and publicity campaign to attract attention for the pool
Ever since our petition launched, we’ve been bowled over by the response from the public, and both the national and local press. Southwark Council have also voiced their support and approved the land use in principle, as has our local MP, Harriet Harman. Peckham Lido will be a vibrant open space, accessible to all. The jewel in the crown of one of London’s most exciting and involved communities. But we need your help to bring it home. Thank you all for your enthusiasm so far – it’s been great! But now we need you to turn your support into pounds. As much or as little as you can afford to pledge. Let’s show the world that the community of Peckham wants its lido back. Thank you!