Help Sash & Belle make a baby bag
The story of the project
When I was pregnant with my first child Chloe, I searched high and low for a nappy bag that I liked. I never quite found what I was looking for, so settled for a cheap bag because I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a bag I would rather hide under the pram than use proudly. After some time I went looking for a bag that was more stylish and could still fit all of the baby things and ended up with a cross body bag but it wasn’t great either; there was no room for much at all. Then when I had my son Jake I went looking and again I ended up with a cheap nappy bag urghhh!
Also, why are most nappy bags totally heinous. Note to other nappy bag designers: just because I have a baby, doesn’t mean I want my diaper bag to look like it belongs to my baby. What’s with all the cutesy prints?
Surely I can’t be the only Mum looking for a bag that has style and functionality without looking like a traditional nappy bag. Parents with babies often feel forced to sacrifice style for function daily and as pretty as they are, many handbags don’t hold bottles, wipes and nappies — and don’t even get me started on the stain risk you take by having your favorite bag near a baby.
Now that I have my own handbag label, Sash & Belle, I thought I would create one for Mum’s who want the same as me.
I have designed this bag with three purposes in mind:
- 1) to have some features of a traditional baby bag including compartments, and pockets for nappies, phone and a bottle;
- 2) to have a stylish and functional bag that no one will know holds the baby’s dirty laundry (so to speak); and
- 3) can be used for an entirely other purpose such as carrying your laptop or travelling.
- How you say? Imagine a compartment that fits either a baby bottle or your drink, another that can hold nappies or a mini iPad; and how about changing between documents, baby clothes, your own cardigan or a laptop!
- The Sash & Belle ‘Perry’ tote is stylish, functional, and long enough to fit a laptop; this bag will carry literally everything you need including the breast pump.
- I have designed it for comfort and practicality, to address the gap in the market for trendy nappy bags. With 8 pockets, zipper to close, matching shoulder/stroller straps, lightweight and made of wipeable faux leather, this bag is a must-have
The interior of the bag will be slightly different to the picture above as the pockets will be trimmed with faux leather to make it more durable.
Width across the bottom: 36cm
Width across the top: 46cm
Width of base: 15cm
The will be manufactured in China (where all other Sash & Belle bags are made) I have met with the manufacturing company and will be visiting their factory again in May 2016, the factory is compliant with Chinese human right and a core labour standards and I was happy with the treatment of staff and factory workers.
The beauty of this crowd funded project is that you get an awesome bag for the money you contribute!
I wish I had a pot of gold from the end of the rainbow but I don’t; so I am taking pre-orders for the ‘Perry’ through Pozible crowdfunding website. The cost of the bag is not frightening, it’s recommended retail price is $110, but when you pre-order through my Pozible page you will get the Sash & Belle ‘Perry’ for $70, and that includes shipping to your home.
Thanks very much for your help to achieve my dream, I can’t wait to send you your new bag!
PS Do you know what the benefits of a faux leather handbag is? Here are a few:
– It is lightweight
– It doesn’t cost a fortune
– Durable (not as durable as leather but if you are one who likes to have several bags then PU is for you)
– Animal friendly
– Easy to clean (just clean with a baby wipe)
How the funds will be used
Manufacturing costs: $30
Shipping to Australia: $15
Customs costs $10
Shipping in Australia: $15
If you choose one of the other rewards to get a voucher to shop online at Sash & Belle then we will provide you with a coupon code to use.
Some of my other work
Sash & Belle is growing and we have had a great response from customers in the ACT with many sales and are working on promoting our brand in other states – you can see our collection at www.sash-belle.com.au Through our dedication and motivation it will become a well known Australian brand synonymous with other Australia handbag labels in the future.
I have worked in the public service for 15 years and want to change careers, I want to build a legacy for my children and I would love to do that through Sash & Belle. Please help me to continue to achieve my dream.
The manufacturer is ready to make the bags so there shouldn’t be any problems with ordering and manufacturing the bags