Grow and Cure Herb Kits
Meet the Grow and Cure Kit: An all inclusive assortment of the materials needed to grow and cure your own herbs, simply.
The Grow & Cure’s clean, minimalist design can make anyone a successful herb farmer. Simply add soil, your plant of choice, some water, and you’re ready to get growing. With the aerated grow bag, your plant’s roots will spread wide and strong, followed by robust plant growth as you add our organic nutrients through the season.
Drying your herbs in living areas of all sizes is easy with Portland Homegrown’s innovative, adjustable drying rack. The Grow & Cure kit includes trimming shears, an extra-large curing jar, and a relative humidity monitor to insure against mold or over-drying. So join us this spring and go green with our easy-to-use kit!
To find new and unique ways to reconnect people with what they consume.
- Minimalist design
- Simple & intuitive
- Variety of tools
- Instructional guidance
Firstly, the growing necessities
- Grow Bag – 7 gallons (1 cubic foot), locally designed, bio-degradable, breathable
- Organic Nutrients – 8 oz. bottle of organic veg, 8 oz. bottle of organic bloom
- Measuring Shot – measure accurately, then start the party
- Jeweler’s Loupe – 40x magnified with LED light
Secondly, the curing necessities
- Trimming Shears – razor sharp stainless steel
- Drying Rack – handmade, fully adjustable, 3 lines, 8.5 ft, long x 9 in. wide, gorilla-hooks and twist-ties included
- Curing Jar – 3 liters (quarts), hermetically sealed, durable and beautiful
- Relative Humidity Regulator – avoid mold or over-drying with the Boveda 62
Finally, the help
- Instructional Videos – Simple, easy-to-follow videos that help you through the whole grow and cure process. Videos will be posted on our website by first delivery, 5/20/2016.
- FAQ’s – Our website will include a “frequently asked questions” section which should address most of the issues commonly run into when growing and curing your own herbs.
- Collaborative Forum – Get your questions and concerns answered on our collaborative forum. We will shoot for answering all questions within 48 hours, and will update the FAQ section of the site as our customers pose new questions.
What’s Not Included?
- The soil – 1 cubic foot of soil weighs a lot, so shipping it costs a lot. To save our customers money, we will instead be recommending organic soils for purchase in local and nationwide stores.
- The plant –get creative! Our kits can be used for growing anything organic, and we don’t want to hamstring our customers into one kind of plant.
What Can It Be Used For?
- Entire Kit – growing and curing most organics
- Grow Bag – a home for happy plants
- Curing Jar – curing, pickling, and dried goods storage
- Drying Rack – hang drying herbs, laundry line for camping, other yet to be explored uses
- Organic Nutrients – plant food, general fertilizer, sexy cologne (works 60% of the time, every time…)
- Measuring Shot – measurements up to 1oz (6tsp), getting the party started
- Trimming Shears – trimming plants, cutting ribbon, warding off intruders
- Jeweler’s Loupe – inspect for plant wrecking pests, monitor plant health, study ant colonies
- Humidity Control – maintain the perfect storage humidity for most herbs, spices and dried fruits
Where Can It Be Used?
- Urban Gardening – We designed the Grow & Cure Kit with urban gardeners in mind. A balcony, small back patio, or even a larger yard are all great places to use your kit. Just be sure the spot gets a few hours of sunlight a day.
- Movable Grow Medium – Even if you have a full garden in place, growing your herbs in a moveable growing medium is ideal. As the rain comes, so does the possibility of mold formation. Having the ability to place your plant undercover during heavy rain can save a harvest.
Does It Work Inside? – Yes. We have tested our Grow & Cure Kits in our own indoor garden. The plants grew healthy and happy, and once you have your indoor garden setup, the process is similar to growing outdoors.
Building Your Own Indoor Garden – It takes a bit of time and effort, but really isn’t too difficult with the right instruction. Although we don’t currently sell indoor lighting, fans, etc., we will be showing you how to build your own indoor garden this fall along with recommending pre-made grow closets.
The Portland Homegrown Story
As urbanites with deep roots in organic farming, we were inspired to bring our love for going green to city dwellers everywhere. After an idyllic summer trip to our family’s organic farm, we began racking our brains on innovative ways to make growing organics both accessible and fun for anyone.
Then it hit us: Herbs. Although most of us frequently enjoy cured herbs in one form or another, we had never found a fully integrated product helping home-growers with the process from start to finish. So that’s what we set out to do.
With the success of our first product, we hope to innovate new ways to encourage the connection to what we put into our bodies on a daily basis. Stay tuned for big things from Portland Homegrown!
We will be manufacturing and assembling all of our kits in the PNW. If orders come in from 100-500 units, we will be able to manufacture and assemble the kits in our garage workshop. If orders come in above this level (here’s hoping!), we have a warehouse lined up for a larger assembly line. Once we hit our goal and receive the first influx of capital, we will get moving right away on purchasing required equipment, creating the assembly line, and assembling your kits as fast as we can. We aim to have the first 500 kits delivered by May 20th.
Risks and Challenges
For lower volumes of up to 1000 kits, we do not foresee any risks with the implementation of the project. Prototypes for each piece of the kit are already established, and our wholesalers are ready to fulfill our orders upon receipt of funding. If order volumes top 1000 (again, here’s hoping!), we will need to hire extra help. This should not be an issue as we are already vetting hiring avenues, but unknown human elements are always an unpredictable variable. We will be watching order volumes closely during the entire campaign to ensure we are lining up all necessary tools to fulfill our orders.