The Thompson Fields was recorded in August 2014 and released in June 2015. The following description was written prior to its launch. All documentation described below continues to be made available to everyone who purchases The Thompson Fields in any form. All you need to do is login after your purchase. We had a lot of fun documenting the making of this recording and hope you, too, will enjoy going behind the scenes into the underbelly of making a record such as this.
Welcome to The Thompson Fields Project, where we’ll be recording various new works, four of which were commissioned directly by ArtistShare participants. The pieces range from being descriptive of the open landscape of my home in southwest Minnesota, to being inspired by the first time I heard a samba school rehearse in Rio. There’s a piece inspired by the Birds of Paradise Project from Cornell University, and we’re recording A Potter’s Song, written in memory our beloved Laurie Frink, the dearest of friends who we were lucky to make music with for over twenty years. There’s a lot more, and we’ll go into great detail as we document this project over the course of months.
As the project develops, we will be keeping you, the participant, involved through videos, audio clips, photos, downloads and more. I hope you’ll find it fun, interesting and exciting as I take you on the path of making this record. Each project is unique as there are always unexpected surprises. I’m sure this time will be no different. Please join us as this project unfolds and takes on a life of its own.
This album includes pieces generously commissioned through ArtistShare from the following projects:
The ArtistShare Commission Project (2009) – The Thompson Fields
Commissioned by Christophe Asselineau
Spring 2010 ArtistShare Commission Project – Lembrança
Commissioned by: Bill & Carol Bloemer, Justin Freed, Paul James, and Little Johnny Koerber
Spring 2012 ArtistShare Commission Project – Arbiters of Evolution and Home
Commissioned by: Bill & Carol Bloemer, Justin Freed, Paul James, and John Koerber
- Get credit listing on the The Thompson Fields CD for helping make this recording possible
- Credit Listing on a commemorative marker we’re creating at Willow Lake Farm near Maria’s hometown in Minnesota
- Invitation to a recording/mixing/mastering session
- Coffee table book, The Birds of Paradise: Revealing the World’s Most Extraordinary Birds, which inspired the piece Arbiters of Evolution
- See sketches of Maria’s new compositions and hear clips from rehearsal to the final recording session
- Receive a LTD Edition The Thompson Fields CD