The Voire Dire Project is the inaugural production of Cosmic Orchid. It is an integrative project where four theatrical teams (playwright, actors and director) each develop a one-act play inspired by a separate work of visual art. It culminates in a 4 week production of those plays with a corresponding exhibition of the art that influenced them.
The Hoodie Play launched Cosmic Orchid with a rotating ten show run. We introduced the company and its mission, to both audience and Artists. It was a wonderful opportunity to assess the impact of Integrative Theatre. With 20 Theatre Artists and 4 Visual Artists participating in Voire Dire, it is quite an industrious project and not an easy task to accomplish – even just in scheduling and acquiring available space.
We made a conscious effort to keep production expenses low so we could allocate 40% of our budget to Artists’ fees. Because of the scale of Voire Dire, the allocation for Artist’s fee actually represents 60% of the entire budget. We opt for humble venues and stage with minimal production values. We want the work to speak for itself. We want our Artists to feel fulfilled and empowered.
RocketHub is the optimal platform to stage our campaign. Not only do they coordinate with Fractured Atlas so your contributions are tax-deductible, they keep our fees low so that your donation dollars go to facilitating the project that you believe in. Each week, we will spotlight at least one of our colleagues.
What the funds will be used for:
– To help us turn that red ink from the company launch into black.
– To pay for rehearsal/performance space within this city of astronomically-valued real estate.
– To fund this crazy idea that we should pay our Artists.
What impact it will make:
– The success of this inaugural Voire Dire ensures a new cycle each season.
– The exposure of the project builds an audience committed to following our work.
– Audience cultivation ensures future production’s larger venues and richer production values.
Why this project matters:
– Our mission integrates Culture, Visual Art and Theatre into a unique audience experience.
– This project benefits, not only the community, but our community of artists.
– Most every artist that we discuss the project with, wants to be in involved!
Why you should fund us:
– Although all art has its own inspiration, our unique mission serves to highlight inspiration.
– Only 40.7% of the revenue of not-for-profit US Arts organizations comes from earned income (tickets sales). Most funding comes from donors, like you. (NEA) https://www.arts.gov/sites/default/files/how-the-us-funds-the-arts.pdf
– Carnegie Hall has fancy schmancy donors like the Rockefellers. Be like the Rockefellers and donate to Cosmic Orchid. We’re cooler than Carnegie Hall!
Cosmic Orchid is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions for the charitable purposes of Cosmic Orchid can be made via this RocketHub campaign. The value of goods or services received by donors is listed in each category. Any contribution above that amount is tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.