Muslims United for San Bernardino
Muslims Help Families of the Victims of the San Bernardino Shooting
Photo by Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times
American Muslims Respond:
Fundraiser for Victims’ Families
At least 14 people have been killed and 17 more wounded in San Bernardino, California where up to 3 attackers went on a shooting spree at a regional center that provides services to those with special needs. The San Bernardino families lost their loved ones in a deplorable act of violence. This is why a collective of American Muslim leaders and groups have launched an effort to raise funds for the victims’ families.
We wish to respond to evil with good, as our faith instructs us, and send a powerful, united message of compassion through action. Our Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said: “Have mercy to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens (God) will have mercy upon you.” And the Quran teaches to “Repel evil by that which is better” (41:34).
All fundraising proceeds will help with the immediate, short-term needs of the families, such as funeral expenses. If we exceed the $50,000 goal, we can even assist the families with long-term expenses or possibly provide a donation to the regional center where the shooting took place. Funds will be distributed to the victims’ families by the MiNDS Network (read more about MiNDS below).
We ask for American Muslim mosques, Imams, leaders, and groups to endorse and promote this initiative. Official endorsers of the campaign are only required to help promote it via email and social media. To be added to the list of endorsers, please email email@example.com. The list below will be updated at least twice daily:
(as of 4 PM EST on Dec 4, 2015):
- Local Organizations: The MiNDS Network, UPLIFT, MECASoCal, Islamic Shura Council of Southern California, Tarbiya Institute
- National Organizations: CelebrateMercy, Islamic Networks Group, Mental Health for Muslims
- Local Muslim Leaders: Ustadh Hassan Elwan, Shaykha Muslema Purmul, Shaykh Yasir Fazaqa (OCIF), Shaykh Atef Mahgoub (ICOI), Shaykh Mohammed Faqih (IIOC), Imam Mustafa Umar (IIOC), Dr. Ahmed Soboh (CVIC), Shaykh Suhail Mulla, Ustadh Usman Asrar, Imam Osman Umarjee, Hosai Mojaddidi, Imam M. A. Azeez (Tarbiya Institute)
- National Muslim Leaders: Imam Omar Suleiman, Yasmin Mogahed
Muslim Leaders Send their Condolences to Those Affected by the San Bernardino Attack
“We are sad at the suffering of our neighbors in San Bernardino. We are with them not only with the words of sympathy and condolences; we should show the acts of kindness and compassion. Victims’ Fund is a noble idea. I urge all American Muslims to contribute to this fund.”
– Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, Chair – Southern CA Islamic Shura Council
“The center and its members offer their deepest condolences to those affected by this tragedy and we stand with our fellow Americans in this difficult time.”
– The Islamic Community Center of Redlands.
MiNDS is a Family-Centered Development organization based in Inland Empire and North Orange County (southern CA) with a wide charitable network of the specialty healthcare providers, community development, and economic empowerment programs.
MiNDS’s vision is to empower families through community development, provide specialty healthcare, and raise mental health awareness.
- Islamic Networks Group (ING)
- Islamic Shura Council of Southern California
- MECA SoCal
- Sahaba Initiative
- Celebrate Mercy
- Tarbiya Institute