Roshni – A portable smart light
There are currently many companies who are building the lights which are controlled by smartphone apps. But there is one thing they do not provide,portability. They all need some kind of mounts or holder plus a central hub to connect your phone with light.
So we created roshni; a smartphone controlled light that is rechargeable and small enough to be carried anywhere you like.
Roshni has Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy) in it. It connect to any device which supports BLE.
Connect roshni with app:
App can even detect the dominant color from an image. e.g: If you want to change the light to according to an image. Or you can just pick a color from an image with app.
Here are the dimensions. Although, these are not final but these are the ones we have our hearts on:
We would like to keep transparency in what we have done and what we still find hard. It is the first time we have decided to create a product for public use. Means we had no experience on how & what kind of components we need for commercial products, what testings are needed etc. But we learned a lot in process of creating roshni and we won’t stop at anything else.
- We have no experience in working with contractors, manufacturers, suppliers.
- We have no experience in how things work when it comes to creating a commercial product that is going to be used by thousands.
- We don’t know how international shipping works. Custom clearance, different regulations on different material in different countries. There could be delays in shipping sometimes.
- It is our first time using BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). We have not working with this type of small data-rate before. We don’t know if it would cause any problems in future.
How can we overcome the challenges.
- We both have 3 years+ hands-on experience in our fields. Means, our team has both the hardware and software requirements.
- Arduino and Google have been our friend through-out in project. The four of us have never spent a day without each other for past 18 months.
- We’ll use professional help whenever needed. We will not, ever, compromise on security of users so we will make sure everything we use is of best quality and certified to latest standards.
- Aside from the online material and professional help, You are whom we are relying on most. We don’t just need funds, we need a community that could help us in any step we find difficult.
Don’t have a credit card or can’t contribute monetarily? This doesn’t mean you can’t help at all. Here are a few ways to help us:
- Like, Tweet, +1 this campaign with hashtag #GoRoshni. See all shares here
- Share our campaign on social and family networks.
- Got a website or blog? We’d appreciate a line or two about our campaign.
- Icons: Microchip by Ilsur Aptukov, Bluetooth by Pham Thi Dieu Linh, Battery by Lara, LED by Arthur Shlain, Smartphone by Sherrinford, Umbrella by Ema Dimitrova, Hand by Chris Henley. All from the Noun Project.
- Apple Watch mockup by HackingUI (awesome site, BTW).
- 3D Modeling is done with SketchUp.
- Graphics are made with Sketch 3 by Bohemian Coding.