Whitley Bay Christmas Lights
This year, on November 28th 2015, we plan to start our Christmas celebrations with a festive cheer. Inspired by the Victorian heritage of Whitley Bay station we are planning a day of festivities and music before the switching on of our brand new Christmas lights by our very own Victorian Station Master.
What we’ll do:
- Provide new Christmas lights for the station area.
- Invite local schools to sing around the Christmas tree.
- Provide an arts and crafts area where children can make small gifts to take home.
- Invite local musicians to perform
- Provide an opportunity for local businesses to promote and showcase their products and services
- Provide an outlet for local charities to connect, fundraiser and inform residents of their services.
- ‘Winter Wonderland’ best dressed shop window competition
Why it’s a great idea:
The event will encourage local residents and businesses to come together and celebrate the wonderful Whitley Bay. It will start our town’s Christmas celebrations in a memorable, exciting way and, in doing so, will encourage the community to come together in an inexpensive and fun way.
We can get match funding of up to £5000 to make this happen. Please help us raise as much money as possible to make Whitley Bay shine!
By working together to encourage a greater community spirit we aim to:
– provide a platform for local charities and community groups to engage with the wider community
– provide opportunities for local residents and new small enterprises to trade in the run up to Christmas
– encourage town centre traders to work together on events
– increase footfall and encourage local residents to shop in Whitley Bay town centre and support local businesses thus boosting the local economy
How we’ll get it done:
- Local businesses, community groups and representatives will work together
- Creation of a special Christmas committee to organise the event.
- Contact local businesses, organisations and schools and invite them to participate in the event.
- Work with a team of volunteers to implement the logistics of the event.
- Work with North Tyneside Council, Police and other relevant parties