A shared space for stories in Tottenham
We have already started work on the outside of the warehouse, building a venetian oasis of pallets and freight containers. We need this money to bring the space to life with a programme of stories and improvements for this shared outdoor space to open all year round. This will include creating a pop-up library, story-telling, day-time performances, film-screenings, a healthy cafe, a programme of planting, bee-keeping, yoga and dance.
What we’ll do:
- Build a pop-up library in our disused Security Hut
- Programme a series of day-time performances for parents and children in the area
- Build a healthy cafe and create an awning so it can be used all year.
- Build a writing station and run workshops with our writer in residence Annie Jenkins
- Programme music, film-screenings and dance workshops
- Improve the signage
- Create a constructed area to accommodate sitting, eating, drinking and conversation
- Create a vending booth
- Decorate with flowers and herbs – and support people to help us grow!
Why it’s a great idea:
In Tottenham there are a wide range of active, cultural makers all working in different and exciting ways. We want to reach out to sections of the community which hardly come into contact. The space we occupy in Tottenham Hale is a busy and well-used area, commuters flood into the tube, people buzz around the retail park and walk on the marshes and the canal.
There are very few spaces in N17 for people to get together, share conversations and meet others. The parks are bare, there are few pubs. Communities are separated and housing is dense without shared space. We want to create an organic, well-curated space which can be busy and full or gentle and quiet. A space for sunny days and warm evenings, a space for reading, listening to music or taking part. A space to watch things grow and share ideas and stories.
I grew up in Haringey and Josh lived in the warehouses on Fountayne Road for years. This is the perfect match of space and expertise all of the people of North London.
How we’ll get it done:
- Local consultation
- Structural work (awning and outside areas)
- Construction of community library
- Planting of herbs and flowers
- Programming of Music, Films, Growing, Dancing and Reading events
- Building cafe and seating area
We’d love for you to be part of this project whether you are interested in Tottenham, stories or just helping find a place for people to come together. Your support is immensely important, especially as it shows other funders what a great impact this will make in the community.
Thank you so much and we hope to welcome you to our garden for gossip, space for stories, cafe for conversation soon!