Our Kilburn – Digital Noticeboard
Kilburn High Road is diverse, lively, and full of surprises. But with heavy road traffic, a transient population and its location divided between two boroughs, the unique character of the High Road can get lost. Local businesses have little support and there is no obvious network to connect them to residents or community groups. We would like to showcase Kilbun’s vibrant range of businesses as well as encouraging new independent traders.
We propose installing a digital notice board located in a high footfall area opposite Kilburn High Road Overground to highlight local retailers, entertainment and community events and special offers, acting as a focal point for residents, and visitors alike! The board will show images and video, allowing independent retailers to advertise affordably as well as providing an exciting way of featuring Kilburn information and talent. Ads will be made cheaper for those businesses and groups who support the community, in recognition of their support!
What we’ll do:
- Purchase and install a high-quality digital notice board in the high footfall area opposite Kilburn High Road Overground
- Hire a part-time community worker to connect up local businesses, groups and residents and keep the board updated
- Provide locals with special offers and discounts
- Provide affordable ad space to retailers, and provide discounts for independentsand those supporting the community
Why it’s a great idea:
Kilburn High Road is one of the busiest and largest high streets in the UK, and with all the bustle it’s easy to overlook much of what Kilburn has to offer. However, the last five years residents and community groups have worked hard to foster a sense of place through projects including arts and enterprise workspaces, living streets initiatives and other schemes to improve Kilburn. This project builds on that momentum, with a platform to draw out the sometimes-hidden character of Kilburn, putting the spotlight on those who help give the area its distinctive feel!
This will be a bottom-up initiative, managed the South Kilburn Trust, working alongside the Kilburn Neighbourhood Plan Forum and Kingsgate Community Centre. Because of this it will be able to avoid some of the tricky challenges of working across boroughs.
Looking at similar initiatives, ad revenue should allow us to pay for the board within the year – at which point we can look at expanding the project!
How we’ll get it done:
- Staff and supporters of the South Kilburn Trust will manage the procurement process for the hardware
- Once we have chosen a supplier, we will work with Brent Council to install the noticeboard
- We will work with local designers to produce a unique shell for the board, as well as eye-catching templates for the ads
- We will hire a community worker to talk to local businesses and organisations about the project, and to sell ads
- The community worker will work to produce new content every two weeks, ensuring the board stays interesting and relevant
Both Camden and Brent Councillors are supportive of the idea, as are a wide range of local businesses, residents, and community groups. This is an initiative by the community, for the community, dedicated towards showing just what makes Kilburn shine!