London Hackspace – Hack the Space!
We will use the funds to build out our physical infrastructure, improving the parts of the space where we need fresh air ventilation, improved security, and better accessibility for disabled visitors.
What we’ll do:
- Install front-facing screens publicising events and activities relevant to the community
- Enable front-door area to be step-free and power-assisted for disabled visitors
- Weatherproofing our doors to improve comfort during the cold winter months
- Install air ventilation and extraction system in workshop
- Upgrade our camera facilities to help see who is there, what tools are in use, and ensure those inside are more secure
Why it’s a great idea:
London Hackspace is the world’s largest hackspace by membership with over 1100 members, but most of our dues go towards rent and business fees. We need a little help in order to make current and future members and visitors learn, create, and share in a comfortable and inviting space.
How we’ll get it done:
- Members will be assigned ‘ownership’ of bullet-points and own the full task lifecycle
- Our collective member skills include project management, construction, electronics, and technical community evangelism
- We are undertaking routine construction work which can be quantified easily.
Our space has been an incubator for new businesses, enabled friendships and participation in a large city, and we have been recognised in the local and global press as a beacon of grass-roots innovation. We need your help, both to improve our own capabilities but also to be the model of innovative co-operation for the next generation of communities centred around the high street of the future.