Bromley North Culture Village
Bromley North Village is the home of many small and independent businesses. Although the area has recently benefited from public-realm improvement works, it still suffers from isolation from the main centre of shopping activity in the town and has yet to achieve a clearly defined sense of character or brand.
This project will revitalise the area’s economy, provide a sense of identity and historical context for those visiting, working and living locally and will physically improve the public realm. We have a long-term and large-scale vision to put Bromley North Village on the map as an attractive visitor destination for a broad section of the community and we are seeking to kick-start this vision with this initial programme of art works.
What we’ll do:
- Commission a number of original works inspired by locally-born Science Fiction writer HG Wells.
- Install way finding to direct footfall towards local small businesses.
- Create a new Heritage walk to link up the art works and bring visitors to the area.
- Organise an outdoor summer-night gala to open the project and pilot night-economy activities.
Why it’s a great idea:
Bromley North Village is the historical core of Bromley town – a recognised conservation area with numerous Victorian listed buildings and many independent businesses, restaurants and shops. There are a number of “creative” businesses in the area including music, dance and art supply shops, tattoo parlours and recording studios as well as a small theatre and a number of part-time live music venues.
The project will increase footfall to the area in general, encourage visitors to return to the Village and attract new customers, especially families, to the area. The project will help revitalise the local economy, extend the time that people choose to stay in the Bromley North area, promote the opportunities for future evening economy projects, improve the visual visitor experience and begin to build local a local identity for the area as a natural home for creative and artistic activities and businesses.
How we’ll get it done:
- Work with the Local Authority to integrate all works into existing planning and budgets.
- Engage with local property owners and the Local Authority to get permission for installation of art works.
- Work with local businesses to gain matched funding and funding in kind via participation for events.
- Utilise Town Centre Management to support with time and management expertise.
- Use local artists for the design and fabrication of all pieces to build the local creative economy.
- Create works out in public as much as possible to increase local participation and engagement.
- Engage local people, especially young people, in the design and construction of the art works.
- Work with local Conservation and Heritage groups to ensure all works surpass relevant quality measures.
This project has full support from the Local Authority’s Regeneration and Town Centre Management departments. There is wide support from the local stakeholder organisations including Bromley Civic Society, Traders Associations, Chaplaincy, Residents and Ward Counsellors. There is also permission from local freeholders regarding use of premises for installations