Rebuilding Wallsend Boys Club
Wallsend Boys Club have served the North Tyneside community for over 100 years, by providing our youngsters with somewhere safe and enjoyable for them to come in the evenings and weekends, keeping them off the streets. However in 2012, our 50 year old club was demolished, and for the last three years our kids have been left effectively homeless in their leisure time.
We now have the chance to build a fantastic new facility which will replicate our old home and provide a new hub for our community. It will be an empowering facility for our young people to meet, in an environment that encourages them to achieve their potential through positive activities and opportunities. The majority of our activities will be led in a state of the art leisure facility open to all and capable of hosting something for everyone. We will also use the building as the centre for our youth work which inspires and motivates some of Tyneside’s most vulnerable and deprived young people to reach their potential.
What we’ll do:
- Build a brand new and modern clubhouse to be the home for Wallsend Boys Club
- Use the building as the centre for our youth outreach work.
- Build large Function suite and leisure facilities to host activities such as:
- Football, pool, table tennis and a games room.
- Martial arts, yoga, dance, and cooking lessons.
- Our volunteers will coach and teach the kids to help them develop and reach their potential.
- Regularly host organised events to get more young people involved in our club.
- The spaces will be available for private hire for both sporting use and functions.
Why it’s a great idea:
Wallsend Boys Club is a footballing institution in the North East and a lot of people know of us due to the professional footballers we have helped develop. What is less well known about however is the extent and quality of the youth work we do and the impact we have on the lives of many young people.
For over 100 years Wallsend Boys Club has provided an environment where young people were respected and encouraged. They knew that our doors were always open and there would be a friendly voice welcoming them inside. Our teams of amazing volunteers have always been a source of motivation and inspiration for some of our regions more vulnerable youngsters and our clubhouse was their base.
Since we lost our clubhouse there is nowhere for a lot of our kids to go and they now no longer feel valued. We need our clubhouse back to once more provide a stable and friendly environment where our youngsters can both keep out of trouble and develop as people, helping them reach their potential.
How we’ll get it done:
- The Club has large modern changing rooms next to the pitches where our representative teams play football.
- The changing rooms are single storey, so we shall remove the roof and build on another floor.
- We will then engage as many young people as possible and welcome them into the club.
- Pledges of £50 or more will receive the exclusive ‘The History & Heritage of Wallsend Boys’ Club’ book
Your support to help make this happen is incredibly important. Not only will it help us build a fantastic and future proof new clubhouse, but it will also show some of our region’s most vulnerable young people that the public do care about them, and they are valued. To show your support please pledge now!