VACATION EDUCATION 2015
What is VACATION EDUCATION 2015 all about?
Youth charity Futureversity provides free courses and activities for children and young people from poor and underprivileged backgrounds in London. Over the last 20 years, we have helped over 150,000 young people to achieve their full potential.
But we want to do even more. Through our new VACATION EDUCATION 2015 project, we aim to send 100 disadvantaged children and young people aged 14-19 on free courses and activities during the summer holidays when they are most vulnerable to social and financial hardships. This 10 day programme has been carefully designed to help young people build their self-esteem, engage in purposeful activities to help their community, develop employable skills and ensure they don’t go hungry over the summer holidays. And we need your help.
WHAT’S THE PROBLEM?
During school holidays many Inner City children are left without the support they get in school. They miss out on the safe structure, their one hot meal a day, the sense of belonging, as well as the learning they get in term time. This has a substantial impact on their physical and mental health and wellbeing. They are the victims of social and financial hardships that can lead them astray…
Therefore, this summer, we aim to send 100 young people on our Vacation Education 2015 10 day programme, giving 100 young people the chance to:
- Learn new skills and how to use them to make better decisions for themselves
- Undertake challenges with business volunteers introducing them to the world of work
- Travel, often for the first time outside of their neighbourhood
- Develop their interpersonal and social skills whilst making new friends
- Take part in fun activities and visits, including a day out to the beach and cooking days
WHAT WILL YOUR KIND DONATIONS DO TO HELP?
The cost to send 1 young person on a 10 day course is £500. Over 20 years of research has shown us that a minimum of 70 hours engagement is needed for the programme to make a long lasting difference in young people’s lives.
But we’re dreaming big. We would love to extend this 10 day programme to 100 disadvantaged young people that are desperate to be part of the programme. So we’ve set ourselves the huge challenge to raise £50,000 by 9th August 2015.
Examples of costs per person could include:
- ‘Dragons Den’ style business challenge to develop enterprising skills = £15
- 1 day IT workshop to develop skills like 3D printing and coding = £12.50
- The chance to meet others and develop social skills = £10
- A fun day out; for many the first time to leave their neighbourhood = £25
- Two nutritious meals = £16 per day
REWARDS FOR DONATORS
We have some fab rewards to thank everyone who donates, whatever the amount you might give. Check them out!
PLEASE HELP US TO RAISE £50K!
If we’re going to raise £50,000 in just 6 short weeks, we need your help! Please give whatever you can by sponsoring our project. We promise to keep you updated about our progress and the amazing results we can achieve with your generous and kind donation.
Plus, we’d love you to support us by sharing this project with more kind hearted souls – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog. Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Futureversity or follow us on Twitter @Futureversity
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you.
The Futureversity team
Futureversity believes all young people have the potential to be extraordinary. We provide free courses and activities for 10-25 year olds to help them develop the skills and self-belief they need to make the most of their lives. Our programmes have been proven to raise aspirations, reduce youth crime, break down racial tensions and get unemployed young people off benefits and into work.
- We partner with businesses to give young people real experience of the world of work through introductory courses, seminars, apprenticeships, internships and mentoring.
- We get over 61% of the unemployed young people who enrol on our Job Ready employability programme into sustained employment or training within six months of completion.
- We run over 150 inspiring summer courses in Tower Hamlets (and many more in other boroughs), in subjects as diverse as Investment Banking to Animation, giving 11-25 year olds something productive to do during their summer holiday.
- We deliver accredited volunteer schemes for young people, encouraging them to take responsibility, use their initiative and gain team leadership experience.