Green Trafalgar Road
It suffers from lack of investment, traffic congestion and poor air quality. The pavements are too narrow for outside seating and many shops have cellars so that planting trees is impossible. The high street is dominated by cars and trucks, making it less inviting for local residents and the shops are suffering.
There are lots of street barriers, unused street pavements and some unwelcoming alleyways along Trafalgar Road. We want to use these to add plants and draw people to the high street. With funding we could cover the street barriers with plants and turn a neglected alleyway into a seating terrace with a green canopy. We also want to encourage street stalls that used to be on Trafalgar Road to return.
More investment is needed to improve our high street, but we see this as an opportunity for local residents to start the first phase of bringing much needed improvements to Trafalgar Road.
What we’ll do:
- Cover street barriers with plants
- Install a green canopy in a neglected alleyway to create an outdoor seating terrace
- Work with local community organisations to encourage available street stall licenses to be used
Why it’s a great idea:
Adding plants on Trafalgar Road will help us to improve the air quality of our high street and its general appearance. By covering the street barriers which have strong associations with roads and cars, it will help to reduce their dominance over our high street. Using alleyways and available spaces in between buildings will allow comfortable seating areas off Trafalgar Road, livening up the street with people. Street stalls will bring activity to the high street allowing it to be much more than a means of getting to somewhere.
How we’ll get it done:
- Work with Greenwich Council and its approved contractors
- Work with local community groups, the East Greenwich Business Association and the Greenwich Society
- Set up a working plan for realising our project and a maintenance plan after it has been completed
- Encourage local residents and businesses to get involved in improvements where possible
- Work with Greenwich Co-operative Development Agency to encourage the use of available street stall licenses
Green Trafalgar Road is about getting the ball rolling and encouraging major improvements on our high street. We want to turn it into a place for people and the community. If we can reach £6,250, we will be in the running to receive funding from the Mayor. If we can reach £25,000 by the 31st of August, we will be able to green Trafalgar Road.
East Greenwich Residents Association is a community group which represents the views of the local community and ensures that its voice is heard. If you are a local resident and would like to join us to improve and shape the area, we would be delighted to hear from you.